Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel leak, had to bring car to dealer :(

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DirectLA 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I got home last night and smelled gasoline, so it occurred to me to check under my car. I had smelled gas last week too, but I thought that it was coming from the snow blower. (smacks forehead).

I found that there's a persistent drip-leak from where the hose connects to the fuel filter (where the yellow arrow is pointing in the picture). I was afraid to tackle this myself, because I was concerned that I would crack the hose. But the leak is almost as if the clamp isn't tightened enough. If that's all it is, I'm going to be so embarrassed about having brought in the car.

The lesson here is to check things out carefully. There's a plastic shield under the fuel filter/pump, so if there's a slow drip of gas, it won't necessarily drip onto your garage floor/driveway. Same with things under the hood because of the plastic sheet under the engine bay.

Anyway, here's the question....
I'm waiting to hear back from my service-rep. Should I just have the dealer replace all the rubber hoses for the fuel system? They're all approaching 13 years old. So I'm thinking it could be good preventative maintenance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Save a little money.

Since you took it in there, just have them fix the one problem. But if you want to do any preventative maintenance, have an independent shop do it using good quality fuel line.

A Mercedes dealer will charge too much.

#3 · (Edited)
They all go at 10 yrs or so - first at the clamp when the rubber goes soft and then of course the whole rubber line is suspect. (you have screw clips which looks as though it's been done before)

When you have the cover off, it is pretty easy to see the 2 lines that are pressure lines and these should be replaced with a length of FUEL INJECTION line (not ordinary fuel line)

Pretty easy DIY - start by releasing pressure from gas filler cap - removing wheel makes it easier - undo the gas line coming down from the gas tank and have a container handy for a bit of fuel under pressure (first thing after overnight standing is good) I don't like to crimp gas line but a metal nail punch will plug the line well - Of course use caution at this point.

The line from the tank will probably be OK - no pressure - just trim the end and use all new jubilee clips - good quality

You'll see a line going to the carbon canister - use ordinary gas line if it needs replacing - unlikely? (softer)

The line between the pump and the filter (filter is the larger canister) should be replaced with fuel injection line

Also the line from filter to the metal fuel line running down the chassis to the engine needs fuel injection line

Total cost about $25 for a few new clips and a couple of feet of F/I line

Note some models have a filter with multiple inlets and outlets.

The attached pic is of a typical cover for those who have not removed it - there is one bolt/nut that needs a socket extension about 18 inches long

Oberoi

Attachments

#5 ·
I would guess they've done the important 2 lines and not missed any opportunity to do any others that needed it so don't think there is much to do at the moment.

The only rider for using after market fuel line is the need to get the length just right so that the line doesn't kink - simply a matter of starting long and trimming until perfect

Glad you're back on the road

Oberoi

#6 ·
Thank you!
Only one of the lines appears to be new. I think the hose between the fuel pump and filter is old, and then there's this wide hose that goes into one end of the fuel pump. It has a "U" bend in it and a metal fitting of some sort on the
other end.
Should I replace those? How do I find out what the part numbers are? That "U" shaped hose seems especially difficult to find.

#7 ·
Should I replace those? How do I find out what the part numbers are? That "U" shaped hose seems especially difficult to find.
Google "Mercedes EPC" or do a forum search under "EPC" (Electronic Parts Catalog) and if you use a PC you can gain access to the dealer info. It's free but you will see a prompt to enter credit card info, they don't charge you if you're in North America, this is used to verify your country of residence. From there you can find the part number from an exploded diagram and search using your favorite online parts supplier if it's too much at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.