Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

99 c230 flapping noise

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  burgertime 
#1 ·
Hey guys, searched the forum but couldn't find the solution to my problem and now kind of at my wits end. Girlfriend's car (99 c230K) was making a kind of flapping sound when making left turns, it got progressively worse and ended up making the loud grinding noise associated with bad bearings after awhile. Well we replaced both front bearings with new bearings and on the way back from the mechanics I took a sharp left turn and the noise was back. However it's not nearly as pronounced and seems to happen intermittently which makes me think it's not the bearing. When it does happen it seems most pronounced when driving around 30mph and just drifting to the left. We also noticed a high pitched clinking noise when taking hard left turns at slow speeds. We took it back to the mechanic and he has tried everything he can but he is not an expert on Mercedes. We did notice the right tire (it sounds like it's coming from the right hand side) is a little more worn that the other tires on the right side of the right tire. However he put the back tire on the front and the problem remains. We're pretty stumped as to what might be the problem. If you need to know anything else just ask and I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

#2 ·
Don't know how many miles the bearings had on them but you probably needed them anyway. Some of the things I would check is the front brake components, especially the rotor runout, pad condition and see if your calipers are in good working order. Sometimes quite a bit of rust can accumulate on the caliper mounting brackets and need to be wire brushed off. The caliper slide bolts may be stiff and not adjusting for the proper motion. The grease inside them may be gummed up.

Really think you have more than one issue going on here. Inspect the underside panels and wheel wells for loose clips/screws. If they are missing air can get underneath and make the flapping noise you mentioned.

As you may know the suspension on our cars are hard on things like the lower control arms and ball joints. These all need to be inspected for wear/slop.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.