Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Squeaky Windshield

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DirectLA 
#1 ·
At the onset of colder weather, my windshield on the passenger side squeaks badly (only when it's cold). I don't believe it is the glass rubbing against the dashboard even though it sounds like it, I'm guessing it's the plastic cover that goes across the base of the windshield on the outside of the glass. Anyone else figured out where the sound is really coming from and how to fix it?

#4 ·
How does a windshield "squeak"? It's glass! If you determined it's the front windshield, try this, heck why not. Spray some WD-40 in the offensive area, on the inside and then the outside. Of course, aerate your car otherwise those fumes are going to really tear up your nostril hair's!

#5 ·
Try putting a piece of cardstock between the various pieces, first inside between the glass and the dash pad, then the sides and top, maybe use a bit of tape so you don't lose it down the crack, then when you move outside you could always try removing the plastic shrouds as they are very easy to take off and see what happens. This should help you troubleshoot. I will say this, I would bet that if you tried moving the positions of each seat, seat back, armrest, and seat belt retainer that the squeak will disappear. These cars are notorious for little sounds caused by the plastic and vinyl bits touching and telegraphing the sound elsewhere. On my old car I went crazy last week trying to find a squeak I knew for sure was coming from my leather dash, it turned out to be the rear armrest making sounds in the down position, I only discovered it by accident when my friend put it up while driving and the sound stopped. Moral to this story is when it comes to interior sounds on the W202, never assume it's originating where it sounds like it is, but always check all possible sources of sound.

#6 ·
Will try shimming with card stock

I have an idea it may be the plastic trim along the lower base of the windshield. I see on the Benz EPC that there is a strip of foam or other type of cushion under the plastic, it could be as this gets older it allows the plastic to move vibrate slightly on the glass. I'll try the card stock shim idea under the plastic trim - thanks, I'll let you know if it works!

#7 ·
I should clarify that once you find the squeak by isolating the different areas with cardstock, you can then add foam (since you don't want to stare at a piece of paper forever) to cushion the area that's rubbing. I didn't know the windshield base came with foam originally so that's a good sign, but I use the weatherstripping you buy for sealing your windows at home. It's available at any hardware store and has an adhesive strip on the back so it's easy to put in place and stay there. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.