Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New 1999 C230K owner, some issues

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ashgotti 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've been waiting for my 1999 C230K for 3 weeks now and it finally made it to me through a snow storm (I'm in Ontario, Canada). In the 3 weeks, I've combed this forum and other Mercedes forums in anticipation. I'm hoping that you guys can help me a bit with the few issues I've noticed so far:

1. None of the in-cabin lights work and some of the backlighting on the dash is out.
  2. There is a wirrying noise from the dash when the heater is on. It's intermittent.
  3. The driver-side mirror moves up and down but not left or right.
  4. When I have the parking light on (the right most setting on the dial), only the left side lights turn on on the outside

I believe the fuses have been checked but I can check again.

Thanks all! Looking forward to being part of this community.

#3 ·
The whirring sound is likely to be the blower motor, try to lean down on the passenger side and listen down in the very lower footwell, if it's louder then that's your problem. Also, if it makes the sound at specific settings, ie: fan speeds, it helps confirm this is the issue. You may be able to lube the axle but most likely will need a new one. They are pretty simple to replace if you;re agile enough to get under there or have a relative who is young enough to make the contortions.

Mirror I am not sure but sounds like the bracket may be broken or disconnected in part behind the glass, or your switch could be bad. Does it make the motor sound when you try to move it right or left? If so, then you know the switch is good.

#4 ·
Thanks, it does seem to be when it's mid to high fan speed but I'll double check tonight.

The left mirror does move up and down, just not left and right. The right mirror works perfectly. I'm thinking it's the left mirror motor.

BTW, I ordered a brake light switch to fix the BAS/ASR light. Almost there!

#6 ·
No clue on dimming lights, that is odd. Mine dimmed faster after I did a complete fuse change. You may want to check any and all fuses for hairline cracks.

The whirring could be leaves in the fresh air intake. You need to change that filter. It might be full of debris.

Your car may have ASR or ESP, different versions of traction control. Try turning your wheel all the way left, hold five seconds, turn all the way right, hold five seconds. If you have traction control, they will reset your steering wheel
Position sensor.

And buy an ASP pulley!

#7 ·
All the fuses or just the one for the lights? I just put in new ones for the lights but I'll check them again.

I'm going to look into changing the filter, I read about it a few days ago.

I have ASR. I tried the reset twice, but the light comes back on right away.

Thanks for the reply.

#8 ·
I also had an intermittent problem with the ABS/ESP light, I installed a new brake light switch and the problem disappeared.

As far as fuses, since you just became owner of a 13 year old car I suggest you check every one of them, because once you are in there you might as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.