#1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlight problem on a c230

I have the light on the dash of my 98 c230 it is the low beam on passenger side. This is what has me stumped, when you turn the car off and exit the lights come on so to see the key in the door or what not . At this time both lights work. i am wondering if the light has duel filament . i would not think the switch or anything. any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 95 C280 Silver Metallic(champagne), 89 300E Onyx Mettallic<< All Options both w/car phones
or it might be the foglights that turn on instead of the low beams as the fog lights sight below the low beams in the housing. turn on the low beams exit the car and repeat. see what happens
#3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C220
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Easiest check is to go around car and verify all lights work. Check high and low individually as well as fog and all turns and backup and park lamps. Also, if you have change a bulb out verify it is the right wattage, as that can definitely cause an incorrect reporting of a bulb out.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
(Thread Starter)
replaced the low beam and lights work now but the burnt lamp indicator is on and i cant find a bulb that is not working. i am starting to wonder if battary could be issue as this is the original battary ,but if it is you would never know it cause it runs great .I have had other issues as well such as bas/asr light alarm periodicaly going off and such
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
I used to have that bulb indicator turn on too. It would randomly turn on when I switched on the headlights and then turn off after a while. What sets it off is if the resistance from all the bulbs is not within range. Therefore, if you change a bulb out and it's a different resistance, it can cause the system to believe that a bulb is not working, even though it is.

Have you replaced any bulbs with LED bulbs? That will almost definitely do it.

The other lights could indicate intermittent failures. It might be best to get the car's computer scanned for error codes.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
My car did this on the rear and it was caused by the known issue with construction of the taillight unit. The circuit board thingy inside wasn't attached well enough and the connectors lose contact. Mine would show a bulb out but when I opened the trunk to check the movement would make the bulb work again so I didn't know what was wrong for a while. Next time, gently get out and check your rear bulbs without opening the trunk, just walk around and check.
As mentioned, could also be the incorrect bulb type, same shape and base but not correct wattage, etc. Pull each bulb in the rears and confirm they are the correct type specified in the manual, not just that that match on each side. Someone could have put the wrong bulb in on both sides, I've seen it done quite often. Good luck!

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook
MotoArigato:Roadworthy News & Humor

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '95 C280, '03 E320
My light malfunction indicator light comes on every now and then and with it, my left tail lights go out. After a while everything will be back to normal again. I thought it was a weak contact somewhere so I cleaned all the light bulb contacts in the trunk and all the contacts on the relay and fuses with no success. Eventually I found out that my headlight switch was causing the problem. Mine is pretty worn out and it won't turn precisely in the position you'd expect it to be. I found that I could turn it a little more to the right than I would have to turn the headlights on and it would stay in that position. When all the way to the right, my light malfunction indicator lamp will come on and my left tail lights will go out. If I turn it left just a little bit the malfunction indicator lamp goes off and my left tail lights come back on.
You can try playing around with your headlight switch and see if it makes a difference.

'95 C280
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1987 300e (W124) - 213K miles, 1995 C280 (W202) - 250K miles
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Always be sure to replace bulbs with new ones of the correct wattage. Failure to do this will keep the Bulb Failure light on until you put the right wattage bulbs in.
I had that problem with a w124 but as I understand it, pretty much all models work that way.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class