#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1995 c220 how do you remove the coil packs

the only diagram I can find shows the packs next to the spark plugs .. mine are under the manifold/fuel rail any help or photos would be great,, thanx

oops that shoud say 1994 c220

Last edited by waspkfd; 12-15-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: wrong year on car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
I have not removed the coils, but I have done the wire harness.

The only access to undo the wires is to remove the starter. Removing the starter is interesting. It helps to have long extensions and universal joint sockets to get the starter out.

I did this on a lift so life was much easier. This could be a real PIA on your back.

How is your wire harness? Has it been replaced?
#3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
I have not removed the coils, but I have done the wire harness.

The only access to undo the wires is to remove the starter. Removing the starter is interesting. It helps to have long extensions and universal joint sockets to get the starter out.

I did this on a lift so life was much easier. This could be a real PIA on your back.

How is your wire harness? Has it been replaced?
You did the harness yourself?

Sorry to ask but how much it cost?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Did the harness with the advice and help of my brother who works on Mercedes for a living. It only took us a little over a 2 hours including chatting and my brother working on another car.

I got the harness at cost which is much less then what you are going to pay which I think retail is around $650. That is not bad as the next day they quoted $1200 for the C280 harness. I also replaced the coil power harness.

The job is way easier on a lift as the car went up and down a bunch of times. You have to pull the windshield washer bottle, throttle body, the oil filter and the starter. Pull all the bolts holding the main harness body and then cut all the ends off and rip it out. Bolt in the new harness and put on the new connectors and vacuum hoses.
There are a few wires you do not want to have to replace so you need to be careful. You may not get both bolts back on the connector that is under the manifold.

It was not too bad, but everything went with few problems. Others are not as cooperative and cursing is expected. Having the right tools at hand and an very experienced person helps quite a bit.

The starter can be a very difficult to get loose. The 2 bolts are interesting to get to and my brother regularly abuses the Snapon 3' extension and universal joint sockets doing his day to day job. I could not get to the bolts with the sockets I picked up. He had the starter off in in no time. Took him longer to figure the twists and turns to snake the starter out of the hole.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C280 143K mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
Did the harness with the advice and help of my brother who works on Mercedes for a living. It only took us a little over a 2 hours including chatting and my brother working on another car.

I got the harness at cost which is much less then what you are going to pay which I think retail is around $650. That is not bad as the next day they quoted $1200 for the C280 harness. I also replaced the coil power harness.

The job is way easier on a lift as the car went up and down a bunch of times. You have to pull the windshield washer bottle, throttle body, the oil filter and the starter. Pull all the bolts holding the main harness body and then cut all the ends off and rip it out. Bolt in the new harness and put on the new connectors and vacuum hoses.
There are a few wires you do not want to have to replace so you need to be careful. You may not get both bolts back on the connector that is under the manifold.

It was not too bad, but everything went with few problems. Others are not as cooperative and cursing is expected. Having the right tools at hand and an very experienced person helps quite a bit.

The starter can be a very difficult to get loose. The 2 bolts are interesting to get to and my brother regularly abuses the Snapon 3' extension and universal joint sockets doing his day to day job. I could not get to the bolts with the sockets I picked up. He had the starter off in in no time. Took him longer to figure the twists and turns to snake the starter out of the hole.
Oh you are lucky. Your brother is the brother I never had!

How much was cost on your harness? I'm curious so that I can negotiate when I go to get one for myself. Thanks.

Love my 1995 C280. I would gladly give up my girlfriend before I give up my Mercedes Benz.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C220
My harness took a while longer, it was just me though and I had to make a new coil wire harness from scratch, BUT to answer the original question, I THINK you can get at it by removing the power steering pump, assuming a 94 is same as my 95. That is how I did mine. I did not remove it completely, but took all bolts out and moved it aside enough to get my arm underneath the intake and grab them. I believe there are two allens on top that you loosen, then take the coil pack out from underneath the manifold. I didnt remove my starter when I did mine, but I did remove the fuel rail and intake manifold; they needed cleaning anyway. There are other connectors for the harness that you can access with pS pump removed also.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class