BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 99 C230K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Window Tint Fix-it Ticket

I was pulled over the other day for speeding. Sure enough, the cop gave me that speeding ticket. However, while conversing with him, he told me my tint was too dark on my front windows (35%) and that he was going to ticket the vehicle's owner (my sister, her name's on the registration) for it. He didn't give me a physical ticket for the window tint.

I was looking up some stuff online and it seems those who had their names on their vehicle registration got physical tickets when the cop pulled them over. I didn't get one. Does this mean I got off on the fix-it for the tint? Or is CHP going to mail my sister the said fix-it through the mail?

I live in CA. Some say its illegal to have tint in the front windows and windshield, some say I'm legally allowed to have tint as long as 70% of light will pass through the window, and that I can have up to 4 inches of tint on the top of my windshield.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
different states have different tint laws. check here for your state Auto Window Tint Laws | TintCenter Window Tinting seems like california doesn't allow to tint front windows or the windshield but you can have 4' of tint strip at top of windshield. since he said he will give a ticket to the vehicle owner (your sister), most likely she will get one in the mail. my guess is you don't won't to remove the tint, so she or you can either pay the fix it ticket, or go see the eye doctor and tell him/her you get headaches when is too bright and ask him to right a note asking for permission to have your front windows tinted. it should work, i personally know a couple of people who have done it that way. but first wait until she gets the ticket in the mail, maybe he was just trying to scare you so he didn't write any ticket at all.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
Generally you are physically given a fix it ticket on the spot. In my state it's 5 business days to fix it and run it through inspection. After 5 days your registration is suspended and the fine is applied. If it happened in Delaware, sounds like you got a verbal warning on the tint.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C280 143K mi
Only if they could make photochromic windscreens. or better yet electronically controlled photochromic windscreens.

Love my 1995 C280. I would gladly give up my girlfriend before I give up my Mercedes Benz.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb190e View Post
Generally you are physically given a fix it ticket on the spot. In my state it's 5 business days to fix it and run it through inspection. After 5 days your registration is suspended and the fine is applied. If it happened in Delaware, sounds like you got a verbal warning on the tint.
It makes sense for the department to give the owner of the vehicle the ticket rather than the driver for a fix-it. However, wouldn't giving the driver some form of official warning, like a receipt of the alleged ticket, to show that the car is getting ticketed for sure?

In the stories I've read regarding this tinting issue, the drivers were given the fix-it ticket. There was one story where the son was driving his father's car in SD and was "ticketed" for the window tint on the car. The father lived elsewhere and received a citation in the mail. Sure enough, the pair got their tint taken care of.

I guess I'll really know what to do with this when the citation(s) come in the mail. Last time I got a citation, it took the USPS two months to get it to me when the official sites tell me it will take up to a month. I hope such accurate timing won't happen this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-W202
Only if they could make photochromic windscreens. or better yet electronically controlled photochromic windscreens.
Darn expensive, I'd imagine. It's already expensive to have material with such properties used as glasses lenses.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
Why give the cops a reason to pull you over. I don't tint my windows or use aftermarket headlights, or aftermarket exhaust anymore. It's like a burned out tail light, they will pull you over for a minor "fix it" item hoping to find a bigger bust... I know lots of cops, we go shooting all the time...

True success is being the master of your own time.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedude View Post
Why give the cops a reason to pull you over. I don't tint my windows or use aftermarket headlights, or aftermarket exhaust anymore. It's like a burned out tail light, they will pull you over for a minor "fix it" item hoping to find a bigger bust... I know lots of cops, we go shooting all the time...
I was on the left lane on the 680 next to a slew of cars on my right, to which i was pretty much in the blind spot of the leading car. We were all cruising at around 75. I wanted to overtake because my exit was closing in. I step on it to about 90 ish and overtook the car, then let go of the gas in hopes of allowing the car to slow down by friction instead of braking and scaring everyone behind me. Next thing I know a cop pulls out and tells me to pull over at the next exit, which was the exit I wanted to get to.
It seemed sensible to overtake at the time. And after the overtake, I didn't want to brake to speed limit because of the chaos it would cause to the drivers behind me.
While driving to the exit I noticed the great amount of road I had to travel pass before I would arrive at my exit, which made this overtake a rather dumb decision. I didn't know the distance as I was in an unfamiliar area and had, in fact, never driven in the area before.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 95 C220
that sucks to hear man... but generally if you dont get the ticket within 3-5 "business days" then you may be lucky...

what's new with your car?!?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2000 C230 K, 1974 450SL, 1980 Porsche 928, 1974 Suzuki GT750, 1972 Honda CB750
Got pulled over for speeding in Ventura County (So Cal) a couple of years ago. Cop strolled up to the car, and told me I was speeding. I knew I was, but said "Really?", and looked surprised. He told me I was, but he didn't have his radar on at the time. He was just getting onto the freeway, and I was passing the entrance ramp. I had the driver's side window down, but the passenger side was still up. He said my windows looked a bit dark and asked me to raise my driver's side window, and saw that it was tinted. He said he was going to write me up for it, and he did.

I got a fix it ticket on the spot, which was a $10 fine, or a $120 fine if I didn't correct the violation. I figured out the time to have the tint removed, the trip to court to have it verified, then the expense of having it reinstalled.

I paid the $120 and considered it the lesser of the two choices.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
@KraigG: Since it's the driver's responsibility to ensure the vehicle being driven is in good legal condition I would assume the driver would get the ticket. It's looking like I just got a verbal warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichipong View Post
that sucks to hear man... but generally if you dont get the ticket within 3-5 "business days" then you may be lucky...

what's new with your car?!?
OT: Rebuilt head, new head gasket. Vogtlands are waiting for its Bilsten Sports partner, which will all depend on whether I will land myself a job or not. Want to do the LED reverse bulb mod though, so I can see more clearly when reversing at night.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class