Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just how noisy should the C230 Kompressor be?

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wayne.hyde 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

My brother owns a 1999 C230 Kompressor and I own a 1999 C280.

I KNOW the Kompressor is considerable louder than the 6-cylinder C280 at idle and start-up as a result of the fact that it is a 4-cylinder engine and the presence of the supercharger (Kompressor).

Today however I was standing in the road outside my office and my brother, who had been driving his Kompressor for at least 10 miles to get to my office, pulled up in his Kompressor and it sounded awful - Like a diesel tractor to be specific!:eek:

He says the car drives perfectly with no loss of power or other malfunction.

My questions are:

• IS this noise normal AFTER the engine has warmed up?
  • HOW NOISY does the supercharger have to sound before you become alarmed and think something is wrong?
  • WHAT are the SYMPTOMS of a faulty supercharger?
  • WHAT is the cost of a NEW supercharger?

I look forward to your responses.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
No it's not noisy after the car is warmed up, barely makes any sound at idle when it's warm.

Supercharger wouldn't be putting in any boost at idle after car is already warmed up (assuming his car idles at 600-700 or w/e it is)

Any noise coming from supercharger you should be concerned with. If it seizes you're getting oil / potential metal bits flying into your intake = fail. Though if it is the electromagnetic clutch that is making noises you won't have to panic much considering at very light driving they will slowly degrade over months.

A completely failed s/c would bring up a CEL I "think". Other symptoms can be noises similar to bad bearings / failing belt tensioners / computer hard drive type noises.

New S/C from dealer = $2500 in north america
Rebuilt/and or used S/C from ebay or online = 400-1000
+ 2-3 hours of labor

#4 ·
thanks for these useful bits of info.
usually get the sound of clutch kicking-in when doing really slow driving or upon cold starts in mornings, other than that its quiet at complete idle or during normal driving.
drives flawlessly currently touchwood:D
is there a way to check if it (S/C) needs oil?
price of new S/C:(:crybaby2:

#9 ·
The kompressor faceplate rivets loosen and the plastic cover and parts make just the sound you describe. It isn't serious just sounds horrible. I have removed the face plate and preened those rivets for some relief that lasted a few thousand miles and confirmed the issue. I am thinking the plastic is the issue that continually allows the rivets to loosen up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.