BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Possible alarm/immobiliser problem???

Hello,

I have a 1996 C220 with what I believe is an immobiliser problem.
First off, I had a problem with turning the key (blade key) so I used brute force to get
it to turn. After that sometimes it turned just fine and other times I had to force it again.
That was a year ago. Now all of a sudden the car will not
start. I can turn the key so that all of the lights (and everything electrical) can turn
on but when I turn it all the way nothing happens at all. The red and green lights on the
review mirror flash alternately.

Note: The gas gauge has not been working properly for a couple of months. Sometimes it shows
empty and sometimes it shows the correct amount of gas.

----------------------------
Things I have tried
-----------------------------
I have tried locking and unlocking the doors with the button on the fob as well as
manually through the driver's door and trunk. When I use the key fob everything looks
normal as far as the system appearing to arm itself (red flashing light for lock, green
for unlock). I have tried to "reset" the system (holding down "O" button and turning the key etc), though I don't think I did it correctly.
I have unhooked the battery for 20 mins. Nothing has worked.

I even removed the foot plate from the passenger side footwell and removed all the
units that I believed were part of the immobiliser. I have put them back in.

The short of it is, I have spent days researching an answer and I have tried many
different suggestions. I've now reached a point where I've tried so many things
that I don't even remember what I've done. I paid a visit to a mercedes dealership
and their answer was "we are not quite sure what the problem is".
So now I'm a little bit confused and frustrated and don't know what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

PS: I'm sorry for the long post but I just didn't want to risk leaving out
any details that may be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 300CE, C220, 400SEL, 190E 2.6, W123 280E, W124 E320, S420L, W114 track car.
Send a message via MSN to Mcmerc01
So when you have the Key in the ignition, and turn it to position 3, the car doesn't crank? Do you just get an emptyness? or does it turn to that position but receive no response from the car.

It might be the immobiliser, or the ignition barrel. Similar thing happened to me, changed the Battery on the car and it worked fine. Then again, You say you had to use brute force to turn the key, what you experience there is I believe the steering lock. Make sure the car is in park, and as your turning the steering wheel, crank it. That usually works.

So this may point to the immobiliser yet again.
Someone more experienced may have to correct me here
#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi Mcmerc01

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I read this so late. My computer crashed on me (arrrgghhh what else can go wrong!).

When I turn to position 3 I get no response from the car. I also forgot to mention that the battery was replaced about 4 months ago. I have tried to start the car while turning the wheel but same result.

I really hope it's not the ignition barrel....I was hoping that if it was an immobiliser problem I could perhaps bypass the immobiliser.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 300CE, C220, 400SEL, 190E 2.6, W123 280E, W124 E320, S420L, W114 track car.
Send a message via MSN to Mcmerc01
Quote:
Originally Posted by juseasy View Post
Hi Mcmerc01

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I read this so late. My computer crashed on me (arrrgghhh what else can go wrong!).

When I turn to position 3 I get no response from the car. I also forgot to mention that the battery was replaced about 4 months ago. I have tried to start the car while turning the wheel but same result.

I really hope it's not the ignition barrel....I was hoping that if it was an immobiliser problem I could perhaps bypass the immobiliser.
See, the thing is, the immobiliser is not a common problem, and if it were, bypassing it is not a good idea. Its best that you repair it. Try changing the barrel, this isn't such a bad thing, in fact its not too expensive to change the barrel itself since its only the barrel, not the entire ignition section. (do you get me?) I'm in Australia, including labor it cost me $170. Far cheaper than repairing the immobiliser I think. Then again, change the barrel; ergo new keys and hopefully that fixes the problem. Just let the mechanic take a look at it, or if your quite the handyman, go to a wrecker, locate an ignition barrel with the keys and swap them over. Its far cheaper this way but and there is a but

Make sure there are keys, try and buy from an honest man (remember there are two keys)
Disconnect the battery before performing the swap

There's a tutorial here I believe that takes you step by step on how to change the ignition barrel.

Hope I helped

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.