#1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w202 diesel start problems

So, I've recently bought a w202 200 diesel from 1995 elegance edition. Very nice and comfortable car, but some problems started to show up.

First of all: Low airflow in the car -> checked the filter which I guess hasn't been replaced for about 10 years, cleaned it out a bit and this helped (I'm in the process of buying a new one).

Second: heater inside the car doesn't seem to follow the rolling buttons which regulate the heater. I have no idea on how to fix this.

Third: flashing buttons in the mirrors, means something is wrong when recognizing the key. However this problem mostly happens when the car has been recently driven. After checking whether all cables would appear to be intact and all connections are still in order my dad and I decided to look at the valve which stops the flow of diesel to the engine when these lights flash. This piece of machinery appears to have diesel on it (so I have a little leak somewhere) also the cables which connect that valve to the IFZ are partially losing their protective cover. So I'm thinking there is a short somewhere there and the diesel is interfering with the signal from the key. IFZ and valve are connected via a CAN bus.

Fourth: The lights behind the middle console don't really work unless a bit of pressure is applied: so a bad contact there.

I would really appreciate input on problem 3, the other ones are minor defects which don't hinder car operation.

UPDATE: we fixed the cables going to the shut off valve, no dice still the flashing lights. Running out of idea's, anybody else got a tip?

Last edited by funky44; 08-24-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 C180
you mean lights (red and green) lights flashing on the driving mirror?

Do u like have an immobilizer button that come with the key? If yes, when you push on the button to lock your car it it. To get the car started again you going to have to push on the button to unlock it.

People can be forgetful sometimes and open the car with the key, in that case the car wont start as it locked with the button. what it does is it shuts the fuel pump from sending fuel in and also stop the starter...

1994 bmw 520i now driving a c180 1994 15000kms...
#3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
you mean lights (red and green) lights flashing on the driving mirror?

Do u like have an immobilizer button that come with the key? If yes, when you push on the button to lock your car it it. To get the car started again you going to have to push on the button to unlock it.

People can be forgetful sometimes and open the car with the key, in that case the car wont start as it locked with the button. what it does is it shuts the fuel pump from sending fuel in and also stop the starter...
I know. The car is fully unlocked, when I turn the key in to position 2 the leds in the RVM start to flash alternatively indicating the car can't be started. Can this also be an indication that something is wrong with that valve and not the electronics?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Latest update: same engine as the W124 and the W201 so we decided to replace the electronic regulated valve with just the direct diesel injection and that way circumventing the problem. Works so far, I'm curious what other problems will occur.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '96 C220 n/a diesel
mine is a 96 220 diesel, so its got the newer 604 engine, from wot iv bin told its the best engine merc ever built, only problem iv had was splitting injector pipes, the 1's that link them all up, from merc there £60 each, easy fix- citreon hydraulic tube, comes in 1m lenghts for £4!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: C180 Esprit, C250 Diesel Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky44 View Post
when I turn the key in to position 2 the leds in the RVM start to flash alternatively indicating the car can't be started.

Try to synchronize the key.
Aim the key at the IR receiver in the mirror and push the button TWO TIMES, then, within 10 seconds, turn the key to position 1
#7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javoreczek View Post
Try to synchronize the key.
Aim the key at the IR receiver in the mirror and push the button TWO TIMES, then, within 10 seconds, turn the key to position 1
Maybe I forgot to mention it but I already tried that too! And if that is the problem I shouldn't be able to open the car with the remote control key.

Last edited by funky44; 09-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
hi , your heater problem is most likely to be your duo valves or heater solinoids as they are also know as. have a loook here and drop down to the part about duo valves.

V12 Uber Alles, Rear AC System and Duovalve Diagnosis Rebuild in a W140 Mercedes Benz
#9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1996 c220 auto diesel elegance
Any pictures of how you did this or a detailed description could help me with my probs. Thanks.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saor99 View Post
Any pictures of how you did this or a detailed description could help me with my probs. Thanks.
You have the flashing lights problem?

In that case:
1. Buy the part which is used in the 190D or 200E.
2. Open front hood.
3. Locate the electronic regulated valve.
4. Make sure the tubes with diesel leading to the electronic regulated valve can't leak.
5. Remove the electronic regulated valve.
6. Replace with the simple (non-electronic) part.
7. Make sure there is diesel going to the engine
8. Presto, flashing lights everytime you start the car but your car starts.

Final note: I will add in partnumbers/pictures of parts later. If I don't forget it!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class