Testing Ignition Coils?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Send a message via AIM to Zak62592
Testing Ignition Coils??

I've probably addressed this issue before, but I want to get to the source of the misfiring, and check my ignition coils. How do I access them? I'm assuming they're under the spark plug engine cover thing. How do I test each one of them? So I don't go about replacing all three? Thanks!
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
panzerbenzer's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
Location: wi
Posts: 735
Send a message via Yahoo to panzerbenzer
youll need at least one new one then swap each out individually with the new one it may seem like alot of work to replace one at a time though, so replace the first put back together run it, do the second replace , thn the third
__________________

YOU CAN RUN BUT YOULL ONLY DIE...TIRED!!If you insist on driving blind and deaf to the obvious warnings coming from under your Mercedes' hood, the next sound you hear may be a rapping or knock noise from the rod bearings - which will eventually be followed by dead silence as your engine seizes and your Mercedes coasts to a dead stop.LOL
panzerbenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1997 c280
Location: saint louis
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerbenzer View Post
youll need at least one new one then swap each out individually with the new one it may seem like alot of work to replace one at a time though, so replace the first put back together run it, do the second replace , thn the third
i have all 3 oem ignition coils for 1997 c280. thought that was the problem so replaced them all. the problem ended up being the maf and fuel filter. so i have 3 for 50 bucks plus shipping if your interested let me know.
sodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Send a message via AIM to Zak62592
I'm guessing these black things are the ignition coils?

Also the circled wire is the one that connects it?
Attached Thumbnails
Testing Ignition Coils??-ignition.jpg   Testing Ignition Coils??-ignition2.jpg  
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1997 c280
Location: saint louis
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak62592 View Post
I'm guessing these black things are the ignition coils?

Also the circled wire is the one that connects it?
im not sure what your question is. the ignition coils are the 3 items you have circled that have metal going around them. if you unplug both wires going to it, you lift them up off the spark plug. It is covering the spark plug. the other wire with question mark is just and ignition wire(spark plug wire). so you will have one igniton coil firing for two plugs, thats why you only have three and are feeding the other 3. the way the wires plug up is on top of your engine cover. so dont worry about forgetting it shows you. so unplug both sides of the ignition coil. one side is the harness, and one side is to your other spark plug wire. there are ignition wire boots that go on the bottom of the coils to connect to the spark plugs, sometimes these need to be replaced as well. good luck
sodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Send a message via AIM to Zak62592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaman View Post
i have all 3 oem ignition coils for 1997 c280. thought that was the problem so replaced them all. the problem ended up being the maf and fuel filter. so i have 3 for 50 bucks plus shipping if your interested let me know.
What was your car doing that made you think that you had to replace them?
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1995 C280
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 64
Send a message via AIM to Zak62592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaman View Post
im not sure what your question is. the ignition coils are the 3 items you have circled that have metal going around them. if you unplug both wires going to it, you lift them up off the spark plug. It is covering the spark plug. the other wire with question mark is just and ignition wire(spark plug wire). so you will have one igniton coil firing for two plugs, thats why you only have three and are feeding the other 3. the way the wires plug up is on top of your engine cover. so dont worry about forgetting it shows you. so unplug both sides of the ignition coil. one side is the harness, and one side is to your other spark plug wire. there are ignition wire boots that go on the bottom of the coils to connect to the spark plugs, sometimes these need to be replaced as well. good luck
Alright I just needed to know if I was looking at the right thing or not, thanks!
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1997 c280
Location: saint louis
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak62592 View Post
What was your car doing that made you think that you had to replace them?
my issue was come to a stop and it might start idling funny, and then when taking off it would bog down until it started going. so it felt like it was falling on its face. I had already replaced both o2 sensors, camshaft sensor, then i crank sensor, then ignition coils. I knew that it needed for maintenance anyway so i didnt mind replacing stuff. I just got it on ebay for good cheap prices on oem equipment. but then i checked the fuel filter and found dry rotted lines leaking, and i replaced the fuel filter. it ran better but didnt fix the problem. i put in an air filter and the dieing stopped, but the check engine remained. which was the maf sensor code, and i had replaced it already with a cheap one, so i went out and bought the bosch and it was finally all fixed. the 02 sensors and cam sensor i had replaced earlier in the year when i got o2 sensor codes. seeems like all along it was probably the tune up stuff and maf sensor. good luck
sodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
testing ignition coils strutsekake W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 2 09-30-2009 07:10 PM
Ignition coils samosali W140 S-Class 11 08-24-2009 02:59 PM
need to borrow coils in So. Cal. for testing silverslk R170 SLK Class 9 02-17-2008 05:45 PM
Ignition coils sanmanbx3 W163 M-Class 1 05-01-2006 07:13 PM
Ignition Coils Phil G-Class 2 11-28-2005 06:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.