Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

timing chain problems/no start

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  panzerbenzer 
#1 ·
muchgold6
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: c-280 1999
Posts: 3 My c280 '96 has over 220k and has been running great. Once in Jan it just shut off while driving. After roadside but 2 gallons in(had half tank)? it started up no problems since last week. Got it home but won't turn over, independant benz shop said no compression. Can someone help me with what might be going on. I changed OVP, and fuel relay. Tech said maybe broken timing belt. Nothing gave me any warning. Muchold6

#2 ·
new info

My mechanic said engine was in bad shape due to guides from timing chain damaged engine and valves. I did not hear any sound or snap, just driving and shut off where I had to pull over and car would not turn over. After a week sitting in my driveway, towed to mbz man, said get used motor and would be fine. Is this normal for 220k? My new engine has 99k on it. How can I prevent? thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Is this normal for your 14 year old car with 220k... Yes, as it would appear that preventive maintenance was not done.

Rule of thumb for plastic timing chain guides...

Inspect every 5 years regardless of mileage.

Replace if they appear dark brown color.
Replace if they have physical wear marks.
Replace if you don't know if they were ever replaced.
You live in extreme temperatures, Replace

This is the single reason most benz suffer death is the cheap plastic guides are never inspected or replaced in its life.

They become very brittle and can break while running, the loose piece bounces around into the chain. The chain pulls it up and it strikes the cam gear and causes the chain to jump timing, causing the engine to slam the pistons into the heads valves and kills the engine.

This is exactly what happened to your engine.

The parts are very inexpensive and to service them is pretty easy as the chain does not need to come out.

The chain itself is incredibly durable and rarely if ever needs to be replaced.

If you get the replacement engine, get the rails replaced while the engine is out as it will be very quick and simple and you will not need to worry about this again.

#5 · (Edited)
dude dont be an idiot. First take off spark plug and valve cover check to see if your timing chain snapped. youll see it right in front of you after you take off the valve cover if you see no chain on there it snapped. Tell the ahole mechanic how could you do a compression check without the timing chain connected>>> put a flashlight down each side of the upper timing cover housing and see if your rails snapped ..do it yourself berfore you put in a new engine..Iknow of many idys who say stuff like that then they just replace a few parts and get it running charge you for new engine ..If you are considering getting a used engine mark your block with a small etch or white out or something youll see so when they just fix the 50 dollar part get your car running you can lok under there and realize they didnt do nothing but charged you something also take pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.