Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Vibration in the drivetrain after replacing clutch and flywheel

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chili58 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have a vibration when driving over 90km/h on my Merc W202 C180 after replacing the cluch and flywheel. It makes this drowning noise if I go over 90-110km/h and if I drive faster it really starts to vibrate the whole car.

I also had my wheel balancing checked as it fine.Front suspension is also good had the bushes replaced and lower ball joints a week before this job. Allignment is a bit out but I dont think it could come from that.

I think this might be coming form the propshaft(drivetrain) as this was loosend and moved in order to get the gearbox out and the fact that the car doesnt have this vibration when I rev it in neutral(thus eliminating it being the new flywheel or clutch)

It happens only when the car is travelling over 90km/h and gets worse as you drive faster.

I know my mechanic marked the propshaft and replaced it on the same markings but he also loosend the center bearing to move the propshaft back.

Could it be that the flex discs or center bearing were damaged in this process? Or is it something else? maybe the U joint got damaged (as he hit it with a hammer two or 3 times to move it back in place to extend back to the gearbox ??:eek:

Someone told me we should move the front propshaft 180 degrees out of phase as this would help with the vibration anyone know anything about this?

Or could it be the flex discs as I sometimes have a cluck when reversing and braking (then I hear the cluck). Could the pulling off of propshaft just pushed the old felx discs just past the breaking point as the front one was already cracked a bit but not breaking apart.

Also this rubber housing that goes over the front propshaft where it joines with the gearbox is loose(my other mechanic said he sometimes just grinds that rubber housing off if its loose as it creates its own issues....and the flex discs are the ones inbetween the propshaft and not this..could it be this?)

See image at http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1474/propshaftfront.jpg
and
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7682/propshaftfront2.jpg

The back flex disc also looks wobbly as if its under tention is it possible that the propshaft was pushed too far back thus warping the disc..could this be fixed or should it be replaced as this still looks like a solid bush?
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9329/propshaftback.jpg

Also should I have the center bearing replaced?

I also read if the angle is not correct from the center bearing to the back axel this would cause vibration..Could he maybe have moved the center bearing unknowingly?

I am desperate to solve this issue can someone give me advise of what it could be and how to solve it..Please help!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi - did you solve the issue? To me it sounds like the flywheel/turbine between the engine - transmission is not correctly aligned and needs to be align again.

(Old message, but...)
Necropost.
10 year old msg.
OP hasn't been active since posting this.
In future, when responding, use your mouse and hightlight the OPs name (or whomever you plan to respond/reply to).
It'll save you from talking to the wall.

talking to a wall is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.