Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wheel Bearings

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oberoi 
#1 · (Edited)
Barely passed State Inspection today due to a little wooble in my Front Wheel. I do believe we have replaceable bearings (and races); not an entire spindle assembly. If so, does anyone have a diagram or advice on taking this apart ?

Typically, its an easy hour...

Please tell me I do NOT have to remove the Steering Spindle !

#2 ·
Wheel bearings are adjustable - Just jack up and remove the grease cap (slowly and without damage)

Loosen the lock nut on the clamp (allen key) - feel the play and tighten the clamp just enough to feel the slightest amount of play - do not over tighten - tighten the clamp nut and replace the cap.

Also then check for steering knuckle looseness ( jiggle side to side) and ball joint play (jiggle top and bottom)

If you dont want to remove the bearings to renew grease, clean old grease out of cap and put some new matching grease in the cap - (not too much) - remove caps again in 2 weeks and repeat - will circulate a bit and rotate some of the old grease out.

This is a really lazy way out but works - if you get a little grease on your wheels, you put too much in the cap.

Oberoi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.