Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rust on Oil Dip Stick

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ghazi197 
#1 ·
Checked the oil the other day and noticed the dip stick is starting to rust near the top of the stick. What would cause this and has anyone else discovered this? I did replace the o-ring on the dip stick at last oil change about 2K miles ago as it always felt loose. Is the dip stick suppose to be loose to vent?

#2 · (Edited)
The O ring should be a good seal or will cause engine to run slightly rough.

Your rust is probably caused by short runs in cool weather generating combustion moisture - this will burn off on a longer trip (and possibly give the impression of oil usage)
I get it in 25degC weather when doing 7 min trips during the week

Oberoi

#3 ·
Thanks Oberoi

That sounds right as my daughter uses it mostly for short trips to school and back and the car dosn't get hot enough to get the oil hot. The car dosn't use any oil and it dosn't have any signs of a head gasket leak, so this seems to be the only logical explanation.

#7 ·
Hello TarekC250,

Welcome. :)

Please update your user CP info.

Clean the rust off the end of the dipstick and then check the oil to see if it's clean.
Check your coolant level, and look for any oil contamination in your anti-freeze.

When was the car last started/driven?
Outside or in a garage?
Last oil change?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.