Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tensioner Replacement

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  panzerbenzer 
#1 ·
Doing a head gasket job and I am in the process of putting in the timing chain tensioner .. Anyways my crank will move with the housing in but not the guts (plunger spring head in ) then I cannot turn my crank any ideas Ive tried this a million times

#3 ·
yes that is correct I can put the housing in.. then i put the plunger in like you said all the guts and now when i got to align my marks the crank will not turn..

#4 ·
Hmm, I don't remember doing it in that order.

I had timing set to TDC with the 4mm bits in the back of the cam gears. Made sure to put the chain back on without skipping a link, and put the tensioner back in after that. I do remember the crank became really hard to turn with the tensioner in. Why are you turning the crank? Once I had the engine apart I made sure not to even try turning the crank until the job was totally done.

#5 · (Edited)
I was told to put at 30 degrees before TDC ( as for valve damage) then take off cylinder head. Then reinstall . It is like almost The chain is too tight now when i put in the plunger. The head was not resurfaced due to the owner not thinking that it was warped anyways it was so I told him the cost of taking out camshafts and resurfacing and he declined so now I am just putting it back together

#7 ·
okay i figured it out, as far as the tensioner it does need to be at tdc when installed so I will have to reset timing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.