Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I am so friggin pissed at all the rust bubbles

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  gmascoli 
#1 ·
My wifes 1998 C230 has got lepprosey popping up every where on the paint ( doors, trim). This car is 12 years old and it is a mess. I bought it used thinking it would still look as good as older MB models on the road. Dam was i stupid. Are others having this problem too?

#2 ·
Never had a rust problem on a Mercedes untill I bought a W202. Mine was not bad though thank God. It was only where you close the trunk. I had a 2000 with only 88k on it and thats all the rust issues I had. Right now I have a 1987 S class with no rust on it at all. It has 120k and it holding up amazing.

#4 ·
I have the same issue. Just replaced the transmission, so I am going to repaint. My car is a New England refugee, so I understand. It is the sandblast you get every winter. The sand gets under all the trim, and sands off the paint. Underneath, the slush is like an all winter wetsand.

I plan to remove the bubbles at the front perches also. Not too bad yet, but I can see it is an issue.

Once all looks good, I hope to sell, and find another 202 in better physical condition.

#5 ·
There are tons of them down in Florida. No rust never seen snow. Thats the place to buy a Benz:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

#6 ·
My '99 C230 has seen many tough Chicagoland winters so, yes we have lots of trouble spots. Mostly on the doors at the edges of the moldings and on the bottom seams. Also have one spot on the roof at the sunroof. The guy who owned this car before me must have lived on a gravel road as the front of the hood had hundreds of paint chips on the car when I bought it last year. Thankfully the hood is zinc coated before paint so at least is dosn't have any rust, but the paint chips like crazy. The paint quality and rusting issues with this car is the worst I've seen since cars of the '70's thru mid '80's.

#9 ·
They all rust the paint is very thin and the build quality is no where near that of the earlier cars (lates 80s early 90s). From what I have seen here in the uk 2002/2003 onwards mb cars are holding up alot better. My w202 has the old tin worm on the boot by the license plate, all the doors have had paint and all the arches. Oh and the bonnet also on the roof by the top of the screen!! I did read somewhere the problem is due to rust proofing only being applied to the internal side of the metal, so not the side with the external paint finish. What really winds me up is the french can make cars that dont rust as much and they can be 15+ years old the citroen saxo for example.

#11 ·
Hi,

I have a '85 C280.
The common problems over here are the wings, ear wheel arches and around the boot lock.

I found a set of excellent secondhand wings that I have bolted on and attended to the rear arche and boot lock areas which had pretty superficial damage.

Good luck!
Shane

#12 ·
Some further info would be helpful. You could start by filling in your "Profile", so we know what country you are in..

Also, you purchased the vehicle and it had NO rust damage at all, and now it has "just" popped up?

"If" you are in the U.S., you can TRY this....

I have spoken to some of the High "Muckity-Mucks" at MBUSA Mother-Ship about rust policies... NO, they do NOT have a nation-wide policy like some countries, BUT!! what they DID say is that "at an individual dealer level, it IS 'possible' to cover rust issues on a case-by-case basis.."

Of course, this is Ass-u-me-ing you have properly cared for the vehicle ( and LOOKS, thus) you can take it to your dealer and plead your case....

One bit of warning to ALL those who are trying to deal with MB and their affiliates-- It is a GERMAN corporate culture, even in the States.... If there is ONE thing which will get you "blown-off"/ignored? It is getting UPSET.... Threating to Sue.... etc.. this crap will get you *NO* where...
If you very calmly plead your case, with whatever supporting data you might have, THIS will open the most doors.

If you get nowhere with your dealer, I would "escalade" it to the next level, sending a "nice" letter (Certified) to the head of C-Klasse explaining your situation.

From personal dealings with MBUSA, I have gotten EXCELLENT results each time I've had a problem to resolve. Remember, Honey attracts flies better than anything.

Just my .02 on your situation...

G

#13 ·
Yeah, I'd have to say it's because of the climate you live in. In the Chicago area, where I used to live, all cars rusted, a LOT.Tthe rusting process is accelerated by parking in a heated garage, with salt still on the car. My guess is your car was a garage kept, salty climate car.

#15 ·
Yeah, the rust is a disaster on the 202. I have a white 1999 C280 with 195,500 miles here in Connecticut. The rust started way back, probably around 2004. I was successful getting the dealer to cover 50% of a touch up back in 2006 time frame, but I have a major mess now. Planning to blast, etch, prime, and re-paint this summer. I'd also like to by another 1998-2000 C280 because the devil you know, yada yada, but I fear more rust....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.