Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cam Magnet

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  panzerbenzer 
#1 ·
I just recently replaced my cam magnet due to the old one leaking. When I installed the new one I used sensor safe black permatex silicone and after 2 days it leaked. I reinstalled it again this time using yamabond which i read could be the same as the one mercedes is using, It leaked again today. I was thinking of making a gasket for it since upon inspection the rivets of the new cam magnet is not flush on the surface mount. Can I get any input on resolving this issue. Thanks

#2 ·
i used a permatex something on mine. it said resists oil, grease and other stuff. i think thats what you need, something that is resistant to oil ect. since its exposed to that stuff up there. also, are you following the recommended drying times? i havent had any problems with mine. i used a sufficient amount, went around the whole thing, all the bolt holes and then put it on with the screws and tightened them down a little, but left a significant amount of space to let the gasket dry, then when it drys, i tightened it down to specifications.

all the gaskets on my jeep are like this... rear and front differentials, transmission pan ect. it works fine for all them too. make sure the surfaces are clean as well and the old gasket is removed.

#3 ·
The holes on the new cam mag may not be chamfored correctly due to the manufacturing process, that is a possibility. Make sure you clean off the old gunk/surface properly before reinstalling. Maybe you got a reject from bugs bunny.
This is the stuff I used, still have the tube sitting around if you want it. Really don't need to much. B

Permatex Ultra Copper

#7 ·
im surprised that your having so much trouble. there is not really much too it. two flat pieces mating up to each other and 3 bolts to tighten it up. there is no real oil type pressure there, at least not any high pressure. If you clean off both parts with brake clean or something so there is no grease, add high temp rtv/copper to the face of the cam magnet cover part and line it up and snug down tightly. If you are still having leaks then your part is not flat. Crimps or whatever are warped and causing you issues. should not need any gasket etc. If it is still giving you problems i would return it and tell them you tried 5 times but it leaks, and get a new one, sounds like that one is defective. I didnt even replace mine, just rtv and back she went. good luck

#8 ·
Like what I said in my first post the rivets are not flush with the surface of the magnet which is causing it to leak. My old one is also leaking at the connector so I want to make this new one work and not return it to AutohausAZ. The $15.00 dollar permatex 'The Right Stuff" solved my problem.

#9 · (Edited)
"The Right Stuff" is by far my favorite RTV! I have been using this for many years, I love it as it can be instantly put back into service with not having to worry about leaks.

Very nice if your working on something you need back on the road! As it does not have to dry to use :)

I use this on everything, especially heavy oil leak prone areas such as oil pans, timing covers, water pumps etc

Mind you I don't do this on the benz's as most the pans and such seal very well.

The only real place I use this instead of the benz gasket is the flipping U shaped upper timing cover seal (Waste of time, cause it will always leak again)

I just lay a nice fat bead along mating surface (especially the rear where it meets the head) gently line it up and bolt the cover on. Never has leaked again on ANY of the benz models with these style covers.

Anyone who has worked on intakes on domestics already learned this decades ago lol.

I can say that every vehicle I ever used it on has never ever leaked or had seepage ever again.

Even problematic areas such as Ford, Chevy rear main seal caps, oil pans etc. :)

Anytime a sealant is needed, I use "The Right Stuff"

#10 ·
the right stuff is awesome thats what i use to solve the upper timing cover problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.