Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2000 C230
The center clips

First off, thanks for the posting of this thread. It don't believe that I would have been able to tackle this one without the prior knowledge that this thread provided. The symptom first descibed fit my situation to a tee!
I did find one thing that I had to do for my repair that may help someone else.
I have a 2000 c230, and I found that my hands were a little to large to fit on the passenger side for the fresh air ventilation clips, so I loosened the four screws attaching the fuse box cover(captive screws) on the passenger side and removed it creating enough space for my hands. But there was no way to get at the clips in the center for me as AllBodies mentions before. I was able to get the centermost one on the drivers side using a long screwdriver, but the center most one on the passenger side broke as I was trying to get an angle to do something with it. I saw no holes to access it, as that shroud is attached after the wiper mechanism at the assembly line probably. And removal of that looked involved. On a positive note, there does not seem to be any alignment problems with the reassembly with the broken clip. There are plenty of other clips keeping everything together.
So, once again, thanks to all. And, as a side note, I do the cleaning/lubrication of the slide guides on the wiper mechanism every oil change. The wiper was hesitating in the center when I bought the car last year. Found a thread here about it( love this forum), cleaned what seamed like bubble gum from the mechanism, and it took care of the problem for...I guess a year until the motor gearing stripped, and THIS threads info was utilized
*Note* I set the cover of the fuse box back on to take the picture of it on with the ductwork removed already, just to show what I removed for more hand room.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement-alternate-fuse-box.jpg   Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement-alternate-fuse-box-cover-removed.jpg  

Last edited by ken2; 02-12-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: correction
ken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes Benz - C230
This Thread rocks!!!!!!.......

I just replaced the wiper motor on my car yesterday and was it real quick and easy thanks to this posting on how to do it....bigtime cudo's

i got my motor on ebay (used) for only $48.00 and free shipping and within 30mins i had the old one out and the replacement one in and bolted up...

it was good to do the adjustment of the wiper arm with it still unbolted because i had to do mine over but once i got it positioned just right along the alignment marks (to park the wiper) i was good to go.....all done within an hour......is so nice now to have wipers again....

saved me big money from going to the dealer....

Last edited by chitowncruiser; 02-16-2011 at 03:43 PM.
chitowncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #43 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2 View Post
First off, thanks for the posting of this thread. It don't believe that I would have been able to tackle this one without the prior knowledge that this thread provided. The symptom first descibed fit my situation to a tee!
I did find one thing that I had to do for my repair that may help someone else.
I have a 2000 c230, and I found that my hands were a little to large to fit on the passenger side for the fresh air ventilation clips, so I loosened the four screws attaching the fuse box cover(captive screws) on the passenger side and removed it creating enough space for my hands. But there was no way to get at the clips in the center for me as AllBodies mentions before. I was able to get the centermost one on the drivers side using a long screwdriver, but the center most one on the passenger side broke as I was trying to get an angle to do something with it. I saw no holes to access it, as that shroud is attached after the wiper mechanism at the assembly line probably. And removal of that looked involved. On a positive note, there does not seem to be any alignment problems with the reassembly with the broken clip. There are plenty of other clips keeping everything together.
So, once again, thanks to all. And, as a side note, I do the cleaning/lubrication of the slide guides on the wiper mechanism every oil change. The wiper was hesitating in the center when I bought the car last year. Found a thread here about it( love this forum), cleaned what seamed like bubble gum from the mechanism, and it took care of the problem for...I guess a year until the motor gearing stripped, and THIS threads info was utilized
*Note* I set the cover of the fuse box back on to take the picture of it on with the ductwork removed already, just to show what I removed for more hand room.
Thanks man, that clears up all my questions. My mechanic told me (without taking anything apart) that he think it's the transmission linkage between the motor and the wiper. My blade will move across the windshield from drivers to passangers side just fine, but when it starts to come back it will stop, make a whirring sound, and I will have to move it by hand to get it back to the stop position... Is it possible that something is wrong with just the motor or could it be the transmission linkage like he said? I just don't know if I really trust the mechanic that much because he doesn't speak great english and wouldn't even look at the wiper when it tried to move.
AllBodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '96 C220 n/a diesel
Hes rite on the gear, but ur better trying to get 1 from a breaker, from the dealer, in the uk there £450 inc tax, from a breaker or even ebay thier 75% cheaper
davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #45 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo View Post
Hes rite on the gear, but ur better trying to get 1 from a breaker, from the dealer, in the uk there £450 inc tax, from a breaker or even ebay thier 75% cheaper
Any leads on where to find one? I'm seeing around $400 USD on most sites I can find... It's called the windshield wiper pivot assembly also right? Or am I looking at the wrong part?
AllBodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBodies View Post
My blade will move across the windshield from drivers to passangers side just fine, but when it starts to come back it will stop, make a whirring sound, and I will have to move it by hand to get it back to the stop position... Is it possible that something is wrong with just the motor or could it be the transmission linkage...

There are 2 possible reasons for your fault;

Either you have stripped nylon gear inside the wiper motor gear box as in above picture… new motor required.
OR
You have a loose nut on the rear of the wiper mechanism, either nut 1 or nut 2 in picture below is loose … adjustment required.

To determine what is the problem you should recreate the fault by running the wiper until it sticks/stops again, as follows;

1… turn on the wiper to position 2, which is normal speed.
2… when the blade stops on the way back from the passenger side, immediately remove the ignition key.
3… turn the wiper switch to 0, which is OFF.
4… remove the windscreen trim to get access to the wiper motor as in picture below.

5… remove the motor gear box cover... with the word ” Germany” written on it... and inspect the teeth on the nylon gear that are close to the worm drive, any “shavings” as depicted in the picture below will mean that you will need to replace the motor.

6… if there is no damage to the nylon gear and it is in good condition like the one pictured above then there is nothing wrong with the motor and your fault must be a loose nut on the rear of the mechanism, either nut 1 or nut 2 as pictured below.

Either you need a new motor or you need to realign the existing mechanism and tighten up the nuts 1 and 2 as pictured above. In either case, whether fitting a new motor or adjusting an existing mechanism/motor, ensure the motor is in its park position.

W202 wiper motors, new and used on ebay… w202 wiper motor items - Get great deals on Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors!

In your particular case... and if you need a new motor… then this is the one you need… if the part number matches your existing motor? Mercedes Benz W202 C230 C280 C43 - Wiper Motor 98-00 - eBay (item 390170321271 end time Mar-10-11 10:50:41 PST)

Dec
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement-wipergears.jpg  

Last edited by c180w20294; 03-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
c180w20294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 C230 Kompressor
My wiper motor just went out again on my 2000 C230K. This is the third time I’ve had to replace it and I’m starting to wonder why they keep burning out so fast. This last time was while driving during a soft rain mist. My wife had the wiper running on low, I could tell the blade was dragging, and asked her to turn it off for a few minutes. She objected of course and not five minutes later the wiper blade stops moving half way back to its resting position. She felt bad and I told her it wasn’t her fault, even though I wanted to strangle her in secret. So now I have to replace the wiper motor yet again. The good news is that I’ve replaced it so many times already that I can complete the job in about 15 minutes if I have all of my tools handy. Has anyone had to replace theirs more than once?

Also I’ve had the car for about a year and a half, but I’ve also put almost 70K miles on it already (it had 105K) when I bought it.
gasstank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstank View Post
This is the third time I’ve had to replace it and I’m starting to wonder why they keep burning out so fast. .
Failure to do the below twice per year could be the cause of your motor failure.
If you haven’t lubricated the sliding mechanising, as below, you should do it as soon as possible. If you don’t have any grease, use WD40 (or any oil) as a temporary lubricant.

Dec

Edit; if the wiper blade is being used to clear snow and or ice off the windscreen then that will burn out the motor too. The blade must not be obstructed by snow or ice.
Also, the wipers should always be turned off at the wiper switch and the blade should always be allowed to finish its sweep and come to a stop (park) at the drivers side BEFORE the keys are removed from the ignition.

Last edited by c180w20294; 03-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 C230 Kompressor
Thanks for the advice. I greased everything whenever I replace the motor but I’ll be sure to include this as a semi-annual maintenance task. Still I wonder if it would have helped though.

The problem seemed to be caused by the wiper running and there not being enough rain on the windshield. It’s easy to tell that’s what’s happening when you hear the ungodly rubbing noise coming from the wiper blade. I’m betting the drag put too much strain on the gear and stripped it.

I do have one more question though. I’m wondering if I’m missing a clip or adapter that attaches to the hook on the end of the wiper arm. When I replace the wiper several fittings are included and one will fit on the arm, however it does not lock into place like wiper arms I’m used to. The wiper blade fits snuggly but eventually starts to work its way loose and fall away from the hook on the arm a little. The arm holds it in place but I try and pull it back into place when I see it happening. This very well could be part of my problem.
gasstank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #50 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

If the sliding mechanism hasn’t been lubricated as in above video then that lack of lubrication could cause damage to the motor gearbox and result in the symptoms you described in post#47.
If you lubricate the mechanism now, you may find the wiper motor will operate smoothly once again, and without the need to replace the motor.

If there is not enough rain on the windshield then the wipers intermittent setting should be in use so the blade only sweeps the screen every 5 seconds, the wiper certainly should not be run on a dry windshield.
If the blade is dragging then a squirt of screen wash should stop it dragging immediately… if a squirt doesn’t stop it dragging and the wiper blade stops moving then its likely to be the lubrication issue.

You might have the wrong wiper blade fitted or you are using the wrong adaptor, it should be a Bosch blade and 24 inch long, get one from your dealer.

Dec
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement-wiperblade.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class