#1 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Door Lock Vacuum Pump Noise

My '96 C280 door lock vacuum pump started to keep activating. I thought that it was worn out and replaced it, but it is still doing it. I noticed that there is another 'plunger' selenoid type item mounted forward of and connected to the vacuum pump.
Does anyone know what this is?
Could this be the problem?
BTW: how does the vacuum pump work?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1992 sl500
Send a message via AIM to gregheff
I am having the same problem and have the same questions. About every 5 seconds or so, the pump unit activates for a couple seconds. Are there sensors that tell the pump unit that all is locked and it can stop? Could a sensor be bad?
#3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 c230 153k Center vents working again...Finally
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check your connections

If the pump is still running you need to isolate the offending hose,connector or diaphragm.
If you are referring to the round part thats part of the electric pump that generates the vacuum. Posted some pics. Any look familiar?
The Central locking sys. works in conjunction with the electric modules in the doors. B
Attached Images

#4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation I have some answers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeister View Post
If the pump is still running you need to isolate the offending hose,connector or diaphragm.
If you are referring to the round part thats part of the electric pump that generates the vacuum. Posted some pics. Any look familiar?
The Central locking sys. works in conjunction with the electric modules in the doors. B
My vacuum pump looks like #3 photo.
The other part I was referring to was the gas tank lid locking device. It is located forward of the vacuum pump.
I must have a leak in one of the lines to the pump, or the connections themselves. This would cause the pump to keep reactivating to maintain pressure.
Maybe I will spray some soapy water on the thing and look for bubbles.
Any other suggestions?
#5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '99 2.3L Kompressor
Since it is a vacuum, is it a good idea to put soapy water over the leak area and then get that sucked into the tubing/system? What about getting a Mityvac and using that to see which hoses can't maintain a vacuum?
#6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
pop your trunk and pull back the lining on the passenger side at the top. you will see all the yellow vac lines going to a connection piece. one of the lines is probably popped off. its the most common place for one to pop off

87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Track car-Getrag, short shift, delrin, 95a poly, Euro'd, 2 tone Recaros, custom suspension, EFI w/ Megasquirt, cast iron headers, Garrett turbo...
86 190E 2.3-16 Cossie-Old beater Getrag, slammed on BBS' Mosselman ECU, Eaton M62 SC
03 C32 ///AMG - Daily- designo edition, command, fulll Brabus CF interior, CF lips mirrors spoilers ect, and enough engine mods to destroy 911's
#7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Here is the biggest clue:!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvvvz View Post
Since it is a vacuum, is it a good idea to put soapy water over the leak area and then get that sucked into the tubing/system? What about getting a Mityvac and using that to see which hoses can't maintain a vacuum?
The hoses are VERY hard and it would be nearly impossible to remove them from the insert plugs and even more difficult to expand them to push them back on.
I did try spraying soapy water by the vacuum pump and the six line junction and found nothing. I also opened the trunk lock and inspected that connection and it seams good to.

Here is the biggest clue: The vacuum pump only keeps repeating when I am in either forward or reverse and I accelerate. It doesn't do it in park or neutral... Any more suggestions??
#8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
It doesn't do it in park or neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
pop your trunk and pull back the lining on the passenger side at the top. you will see all the yellow vac lines going to a connection piece. one of the lines is probably popped off. its the most common place for one to pop off
The connection piece and all of the lines seem fine. I even sprayed soapy water and no bubbles...

Here is the biggest clue: The vacuum pump only keeps repeating when I am in either forward or reverse and I accelerate. It doesn't do it in park or neutral... Any more suggestions??
#9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
hmm theres a vacuum diagram for the locks on here somewhere. Do any of the doors pin seem weeker that the others(pop up or down less)?

87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Track car-Getrag, short shift, delrin, 95a poly, Euro'd, 2 tone Recaros, custom suspension, EFI w/ Megasquirt, cast iron headers, Garrett turbo...
86 190E 2.3-16 Cossie-Old beater Getrag, slammed on BBS' Mosselman ECU, Eaton M62 SC
03 C32 ///AMG - Daily- designo edition, command, fulll Brabus CF interior, CF lips mirrors spoilers ect, and enough engine mods to destroy 911's
#10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Great Suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
hmm theres a vacuum diagram for the locks on here somewhere. Do any of the doors pin seem weeker that the others(pop up or down less)?
Great Suggestion!

I held the door lock buttons and tested the strength as I used my remote door lock/unlock. The drivers door was definitely weaker while locking. I would bet that the problem is inside that location!

Now I just have to figure out how to remove the inside of the door to inspect it.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class