Hill start on a 1996 C200 (elegance) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2009
Hill start on a 1996 C200 (elegance)

Hi everyone,

I only passed my test a few days ago so I'm a brand new driving also I'm new to the forum and to driving a Merc. I've just bought a 1996 Mercedes C200 and it was dropped off for me today. My problem is I have never had to start a car with no handbrake! I've driven 3 different makes and models of cars whilst learning to drive and never had a problem.

I know that it's got the extra foot brake which is the hand brake equivalent. My problem is I can't get it started, it's parked on a steep hill outside my house and I just can't figure out how to start the thing.

Normally I'd start the engine go into first gear, find biting point and take the hand brake off to set off but I can't seem to do this with my new car and I'm now feeling like I'm a hopeless driver already!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bella Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '98 C230 '07 SLK 280 '86 2.3-16 '06 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
Welcome to the forums... I'd say practice! Have a friend or whoever take you to a parking lot or low traffic area and practice until you get the feeling of the clutch. The trick with a hill is all about knowing your car and where the clutch grabs... at that point you start to give it gas and release the clutch.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Hi there,

It's a manual transmission. I've figured out how to take the foot/handbrake section of it off. Someone told me to go into neutral take the parking brake off, go into first gear, find biting point then pull the hand lever off and then you can set off.

The car doesn't appear to rev at all, normally a car even with the parking break on when you apply pressure to the accelerator it revs, am I doing something wrong but it doesn't appear to be ticking over.

The car obviously works as the guy that sold it to me drove 20 miles to get it to me.

I'm really sorry to appear so stupid, I'm really unsure and as a new driver I fear I've bitten off more than I can chew!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Don't get discouraged, rjb190e has a terrific point that maybe you can ask a friend or relative to give it a shot, you may just be overlooking something simple. If they can relocate it to somewhere other than a slope for you you could then more confidently give it a spin. Driving is all about being confident in your ability to operate the car safely. Don't do anything you think might put you or others at risk, even tho you're anxious to enjoy your new car.

Also, is the car actually failing to start, or it starts but fails to move?
Can anyone confirm if the model Bella has uses the hill holder function, even on a manual?

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook
MotoArigato:Roadworthy News & Humor

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 06-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.
DirectLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '98 C230 '07 SLK 280 '86 2.3-16 '06 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
[QUOTE=Bella Cullen;3527443]Hi there,

It's a manual transmission. I've figured out how to take the foot/handbrake section of it off. Someone told me to go into neutral take the parking brake off, go into first gear, find biting point then pull the hand lever off and then you can set off.

Holding it at the grab point with the brake on will just wear out your clutch.

The car doesn't appear to rev at all, normally a car even with the parking break on when you apply pressure to the accelerator it revs, am I doing something wrong but it doesn't appear to be ticking over.

Put the brake on, start the car in neutral and rev the car... should be no problem. If it doesn't rev, keep the car in neutral with the brake on and check the throttle cable under the hood (or have someone help you with this). You should be able to rev the car by pulling the cable... if you can but can't with the pedal, you have a problem.
rjb190e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: '94 C280 US Spec
Did you learn in an automatic?
Here in Europe, most schools teach in manual cars. They usually teach uphill stop-drive with the hand brake, which in my opinion is a bit complicated for new drivers.
I'll try to explain what to do in a few steps:
1) sit down, get comfortable, the parking brake should be pressed down
2) press the clutch pedal with your left foot, the regular brake pedal with your right and start the engine - some cars start only if the clutch is pressed
3) put the gear into neutral and slowly let go of the clutch (nothing should happen), also slowly let go of the brake pedal (should stand still)
4) now your engine should be at idle, car should be at a stand still due to the parking brake... try reving the gas pedal
5) if the gas pedal revs the engine, go to next step, otherwise something else is wrong
6) press the regular brake pedal firmly with your right foot again, release the parking brake with your left hand, you should keep standing in place
7) while still pressing the brake pedal with the right foot, press the clutch with your left foot all the way down, put the gear into 1st
8) slowly release the clutch until you feel it grabbing, there is a point where the clutch will hold the car even on a steep hill and at that moment, your right foot should go from brake pedal to gas pedal to add revs
9) press gas / release clutch accordingly to get going. It it dies, don't panic.

Go ahead and print this out and go out and test it a few times.
Don't feel humiliated or anything, you just need to get a hold of it and once you do, you'll get to love it. Manual cars are fun to drive (I personally drive both auto and manual).
Fusion.C280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion.C280 View Post
Did you learn in an automatic?
Here in Europe, most schools teach in manual cars. They usually teach uphill stop-drive with the hand brake, which in my opinion is a bit complicated for new drivers.
I'll try to explain what to do in a few steps:
1) sit down, get comfortable, the parking brake should be pressed down
2) press the clutch pedal with your left foot, the regular brake pedal with your right and start the engine - some cars start only if the clutch is pressed
3) put the gear into neutral and slowly let go of the clutch (nothing should happen), also slowly let go of the brake pedal (should stand still)
4) now your engine should be at idle, car should be at a stand still due to the parking brake... try reving the gas pedal
5) if the gas pedal revs the engine, go to next step, otherwise something else is wrong
6) press the regular brake pedal firmly with your right foot again, release the parking brake with your left hand, you should keep standing in place
7) while still pressing the brake pedal with the right foot, press the clutch with your left foot all the way down, put the gear into 1st
8) slowly release the clutch until you feel it grabbing, there is a point where the clutch will hold the car even on a steep hill and at that moment, your right foot should go from brake pedal to gas pedal to add revs
9) press gas / release clutch accordingly to get going. It it dies, don't panic.

Go ahead and print this out and go out and test it a few times.
Don't feel humiliated or anything, you just need to get a hold of it and once you do, you'll get to love it. Manual cars are fun to drive (I personally drive both auto and manual).

Thank you so much for this, I've managed to move it and turn it to face down hill which I thought would be easier.

I've asked a friend to come one night this week and driving it to a car park with me to practise. I'm just not very confident as yet. I'm sure this will come.

I learned in a manual car for the poster that asked.

Thank you again.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class