BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 C280 Can't Shift Gears

2000 C280

When I turned the car on today and drove, I noticed the transmission would not shift into 2d gear. When I stopped and put my foot on the brake the gear lever would not go into park (locked). I had to turn the engine off to get it into Park. No service lights.

No problems the day before...wish there was an easy solution. I am about 30 miles from Silver Star (the M-B Technichans) and g if I can't get a resolution, Guess it needs to be towed.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 c230 153k Center vents working again...Finally
Gear shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burns View Post
2000 C280

When I turned the car on today and drove, I noticed the transmission would not shift into 2d gear. When I stopped and put my foot on the brake the gear lever would not go into park (locked). I had to turn the engine off to get it into Park. No service lights.

No problems the day before...wish there was an easy solution. I am about 30 miles from Silver Star (the M-B Technichans) and g if I can't get a resolution, Guess it needs to be towed.

Thanks for any advice.
Did you have this problem resolved? Was the shifter causing the issue? Hanging up, linkage, switch, or electronic TCU. B
Attached Images

#3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: C240 Elegance 2000
I got the same problem yesterday on my 2000 C240. I couldn't get the gearstick out of P, had to stick a pen through the hole to release the stick. When I started to drive, the gearbox couldn't shift above the second gear. So I drove slowly on the second gear as I remebered my neighbour had the problem (a C200) with the gearbox not shifting from second gear until after a km/mile or so, so I thought I was OK. Then suddenly, the yellow ESP, brake, engine cooler and oillamp started to display as well as the red brake lamp so I stopped. After a restart only reverse worked. If I put the stick in D, it was the same as it would have been in neutral. So I towed it to the MB repair center. Got noticed half an hour ago that the fault was due to the electronic gearstick/gear selector and it had to be replaced. Estimated cost, €890 which is about $1240. Not nice.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class