Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

weird 15mpg C220

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cjshade 
#1 ·
Hi, these are the problems on my C220 '94
In the morning, it's very easy to turn on the car...but the first 5min i can hear something knocking if I gently press on the pedal...
after warming the car for 3-4min... I start driving,the engine struggles to accelerate from idle to 2000 rpm...sometimes I hear a sort of explosion coming from inside the air duct that joins the air filter and MAF sensor...
but when the engine gets warmer it becomes smooth...and normal "after 10min of driving"
and finally my fuel consumption is bad...
I Drive mostly 80% in the city...
I have no codes on OBD
Use 95 octane gasoline
What could be the problem(S)??
10x
Roy

#3 · (Edited)
Here we go again...

How old is the MAF? If it is not recent change it with a quality one. Clean the Throttle Body. A change of plugs and wires may be in order too if they are old.

As gregs210 was saying, we need to know some maint. history to help us help you.

We get 25 mpg in the worst city driving on 91 octane fuel with our C 220.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

#6 ·
How old is the MAF? If it is not recent change it with a quality one. Clean the Throttle Body. A change of plugs and wires may be in order too if they are old.

As gregs210 was saying, we need to know some maint. history to help us help you.

We get 25 mpg in the worst city driving on 91 octane fuel with our C 220.

C as in 220
After owning the car for 4 years,Few mechanics are professional and not all the time they are....the owner is the best diagnoser
My MAF is 6 month old it is a genuine bosch replacement part...I'm sure nothing is wrong with this part
As for my car it's a 1994 C220 German import...it has 112000km = 69000 miles
the last time the spark plugs were changed was 12000Km ago
never changed any wires...
can damaged wires or plugs be my problem?
10x so much for all the help!!!

#8 ·
Spark Plug Wires

I would change the spark plug wires (they can be heat intermittant too) and look around while your in there. Sounds like the more obvious stuff is well covered. I'd still have a look at the Throttle Body to make sure it's clean.

Has the wiring harness ever been replaced on your car?

I agree that an informed owner has the best knowledge of his/her car.

C as in 220

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.