Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Loud Engine Fan

13K views 62 replies 6 participants last post by  jazz1one 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 C230 MB. It seems like when the car is running the engine fan (at the front of the engine) is always on and it is really rather loud. Is this normal?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I know just about as soon as I start my car the fan kicks into gear. It does slow down (noise wise), and I really don't notice it anymore. Not sure if that helps or not!

#8 ·
After you pop your hood, and you're looking down into the engine bay, you want to pull off the fuse box cover. The box is located to your right, and it's kind of long; tucked up in the corner. Then just turn the lid over in your hands and scan through the listing on what is what. Hopefully it'll tell you what fuse or fuses are related to auxiliary fan. There are also fuses in the trunk but it'll tell you.

Of course if that fuse is blown then go ahead and replace it. I think there may be a relay related to the auxiliary fan too. If that's failed then it could be the problem too. What year is your w202? And model?

#10 ·
Okay so your w202 is close to mine then. Yea, it looks to be Fuse #38 but please check it first in your list before hand.

And you're quite welcome. :) I'll check on the relay stuff in a minute here.

#11 ·
There are two relays also associated with the fan. It's K9 Auxiliary Fan Relay or C/D on the diagram (I believe.) I did read that the w202 fuseboxes's gaskets can fail and allow water to leak in and short out the auxiliary fan relay to cause it to constantly run even when the car is shut off.

Hopefully it isn't that serious though.

#13 ·
I would doubt it. When it comes to the auxiliary fans the main pieces are between the fan, connectors, wiring, fuses, relays, and the sensor that tells it to go. It's a lot electrical stuff. The oil leak will affect the engine's life.

#24 ·
You likely have a stuck fan relay or the overheat sensor is shorted so your fan thinks the motor is overheating. A good M/B Indie should be able to troubleshoot your problem fast.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220
Hey cjshade, do you know where this overheat sensor may be located? Is it hard to get to for a DIY?

#19 ·
something similar happened to me. turned out to be the thermostat. i had the replaced and the problem went away immediatly. hope that helps. not that it matters much, but i have a 97 C36, but i am sure that they are very similar
Thermostat was the problem? That would make sense too.

gle041, I would try solving the issue yourself first. I can tell you to just change a standard light bulb in the tail light it costs $30 for part and mechanic's time. If it's a simple fix then you'll be kicking yourself. You'll have to pay labor, which could be at least $50 upwards to $150. Then you may have to get a new part or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.