Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1996 C220 won't start

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sonofman559 
#1 ·
Guys,

Hopefully you can help as this one is a puzzle.

1996 C220 won't start, attempts to start has the remote keyless red/green lights on the rear view flashing. I can use the remote or the "manual" key to unlock and lock the car. Using the fob will unlock the car with the flashing green light. Locking with fob will flash the red light - so it locks/unlocks just like it should. However, when I get IN the car and try to start it the red/green lights flash. Ideas? I did notice that the fuel door lock (plunger thingy) doesn't work and leaves the fuel door unlocked. I'm wondering if some how this factors into it. I replaced the immobiliser module to no avail - so that doesn't appear to be the problem. Should I replace the ignition perhaps?? Any ideas would be helpful.

#6 ·
If by accept you mean insert. Both keys (laser cut and the spare, etc) all fit in the ignition, none will start the car.

The car won't start, meaning it "turns over" but won't actually start the engine. Just like you'd expect if the immobilizer is tripped.

I've unlocked the car with the fob (and the green light blinks). I get out of the car, lock it with the manual key by inserting it into the driver's door. I then unlock it the manual way and get in the car and try to start it with either key and the immobilizer is still going off (red and green blinking lights - no ignition).

#3 · (Edited)
Starting problem

Explain what you mean by attemts to start. ex: Engine cranks but does not fire...

I had this same problem early in my C 220 ownership. Turned out I was inadvertantly squeezing the lock button on the key and triggering the immobilizer. After my Wife stopped laughing at me I was able to start the car.:bowdown:

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

#4 ·
Yeah I needed a clarification on that myself. If it's a infrared key then it may be the problem. But if it's cut key, and it turns with symptoms then we can go from there. I really shouldn't be thinking about this when I have a headache. lol

#5 ·
This sounds like an immobilzer problem. I have exactly the same flashing green and red lights, key fob and switch blade style metal key.

Try this: open the door, get in, press the key fob so it locks (with red light). The press again so it opens (green light flashing). insert key immediately and start the car...

If it doesn't work - just keep repeating till the immobilizer is deactivated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.