Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C230- Where is the low-pressure A/C valve (under hood)

25K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bransonboyds 
#1 ·
can someone tell me where the low-pressure (fill valve) for my 2000 c230 komp A/C. there is a valve under a black plastic cap that screws on and it is just to the left and under the washer fluid reservoir which is on the far right side of the engine bay as you look at it. this looks like an AC valve but i am not sure if it is or not and i need to know for sure that it is the LOW -PRESSURE valve and not the high side. does anyone know if this is the low side or not? it is just under the largest black hose on the right side.

ALSO: does anyone know how much freon goes in my car ? how many pounds/ounces does it call for (maximum)

thanks alot

#2 ·
Did you find the answer yet? I'm just starting to look it up. I read somewhere 850 to 9?? Grams or oz of coolant. which was about about 2 pounds depending on the system I guess there was two different options for the 2000 models.

I'm slowly starting to build a page at Air Conditioning - Mercedes Benz Guide and Repair Wiki should be done by end of next week though.

Feel free to add to that page if you can.

#6 ·
Everything past late 92

is r134a. The low pressure schrader valve will be the one with a black cap. The only one a fill valve will fit onto if you are topping off with a can of r134a.
Be careful mb a/c is variable demand so you can't tell by pressure alone your total charge.
:bowdown:

#10 ·
is r134a. The low pressure schrader valve will be the one with a black cap. The only one a fill valve will fit onto if you are topping off with a can of r134a.
Be careful mb a/c is variable demand so you can't tell by pressure alone your total charge.
:bowdown:
So what is the correct pressure gauge that we should have to know if we have the right freon charge for the w202?

#14 ·
I wouldn't rely on gauges the get the amount of refrigerant correct. Even if you crank the A/C to LO, it's not guaranteed it will operate at maximum displacement, since it's a variable displacement compressor that is controlled by low-side pressure (as opposed to newer models which is directly controlled by the desired temperature). In other words, unless it's really hot outside, if you set the temp to LO, the A/C won't go to full displacement, and if you charge it at partial displacement, you will be over charged. The best thing to do is to find a place which can measure the amount of refrigerant pumped into the system by mass. The A/C sticker on the electronics compartment cover will tell you exactly how much mass of refrigerant you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.