BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1996 C220 & 2000 ML430 & 1997 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 C220 stall,rough idle. ?MAS?

i have a 1996 c220 i love the car. the only thing is when i start it in the COLD the cars rpms dont go up and then shuts off. to keep the car on i must hold the accelerator after 10 sec of the foot being on the accelerator the idle just stays extremly low but car still runs.. at a red light or stop the car bucks when giving gas and sometimes will stall(this only happens in the cold anything over 45 degrees it starts fine but RPMs are still extremly low). im thinking its the MAS, can anyone help i would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 96' C220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post Bad MAF

It is very common on these cars to have the MAF go bad and make the car do all kinds of crazy behavior like you described. On ours it would do something different every time we went to drive it. We thought we had a fuel supply problem, then an electrical problem etc... After chasing around and replacing the Crank Position Sensor we took it to a shop and sure enough it was the MAF showing a code on the shop computer. It did not code on the small OBD II computer that I used however. I later found out this is also common. The part is easy to replace and available online. I've heard of people cleaning them but it did not work for me. I've read on this site that you can find the element only for around $185. I found one online for $285.00 for the whole part. I was told by the shop that they would have to wash the computer of codes after it was installed. I don't know if disconnecting the battery will do as good of a reset job or not.

Good luck,

C as in 220

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class