Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

bleeding/changin brake fluid

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  momomo 
#1 ·
I was told that my car needs brake fluid what exactly that means i'm not sure. Do i need to bleed the old fluid or do i just add additional fluid? When I apply my brakes they start squeeking towards the end. Also when I put my Emergency brake on after i park it seems to make a creaking sound. When i went to the a mechanic they said they were fine. I believe my pads & rotors/discs are not older than 2 years. Could this be the brake fluid? and/or hyrdaulic fluid? What is the difference?

i have a c230 kompressor 2002
thanks v. much

#2 · (Edited)
On a 2002 car, it would be unusual to have fluid loss problems

Fluid should be flushed out with new fluid every 2 yrs ideally - easy job
#Suck out as much old fluid out of the container as possible(don't depress the pedal at this stage)-almost fill with new fluid
#Start with longest brake line and bleed until new fluid comes out.
#Bleed other 3 lines finishing with shortest (keep an eye on fluid level)

As far as current level is concerned, check the see thru' container - also a light will come on if you are really low.

Mileage over the last 2 yrs is more imp. than time -if a reputable mechanic has checked them (also, light will come on if pads are low) it may just be a lack of 'anti sieze' type lube where the pads fit into the caliper.

your discs may need de glazing as a last resort.- may also be non std pads

Also important is replacement of coolant every 3 yrs - v.expensive consequences of neglecting this.

Oberoi

Attachments

#3 ·
About flushing out the brake fluid...I suppose they don't do this with the A service? I have a mityvac do you think it is easy as a diy ...I'm not sure how to go about bleeding the brake lines or really where they are located. I guess that must mean I should go to a professional. If I am not going to the MB dealership should I buy the fluid online and give to the mechanic to do the labor? or should they be able to provide proper MB fluid ?

#4 · (Edited)
very easy DIY

#Jack vehicle up to get access behind wheels (removing wheel makes it easy) - ensure safely on jack stands

#suck out all fluid from master cylinder under bonnet with a bit of old tube - be careful not to spill any on paint

#fill with new dot 4 or 5 brake fluid of your choice (MB fluid not vital here)

#install wife in drivers seat and tell her not to jump around too much

#starting at furthest wheel from master cylinder, loosen the drain nipple on the caliper and fit tube over nipple to catch old fluid into a container

#tell wife to press down on pedal and hold down till you lock nipple - tell her to release it - then press down again, open nipple and lock it - repeat UP/DOWN until new colour fluid appears - lock nipple and repeat with other 3

TRAP - watch level of fluid in master cylinder or you'll get air in the lines and have to waste more good fluid getting it out - check after each wheel - twice on the first

Cost is only a can of fluid and worth the trouble

Oberoi

#7 · (Edited)
You may wish to consider buying a power bleeder. Flooring the brake pedal moves the master cylinder piston beyond it's normal travel. This accelerates the wear on the master cylinder's piston seal.

This also makes it a one-man job. Fill the bleeder, pump it up, and crack open the bleeder nipples as described earlier. Also, with one of these, the MC won't run dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.