Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Houston, we have a problem. HELP!!!!!!!

981 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Mercedes Benz of Florida 
#1 ·
Well, its been a while since my 202 has given me any trouble, so I suppose I am due for some sort of annoyance.

The stats:
1996 C280 Sport
219K miles

The problem-
In the life of this car, I would have to say this is the largest problem it has ever seemed to have. And I mean large as in bizarre and seemingly complex. I really hope it isn't as bad as it seems.

Yesterday the CEL light came on while driving in the AM. The following evening while running to the grocery store the doors would not lock. It is now sputtering at idle- almost like the engine is about to stall out. On top of this, the interior dome lights are now not working at all.

I would assume that there must be some sort of electrical issue lurking which has led to all of these problems occurring within the 10 miles covered since the CEL came on. At least I would hope so.. I cannot imagine that all of these problems have surface independently of one another at roughly the same time.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'll be setting up an appt. with my indy to have the car looked at, but it would be nice to gather some info from members here whom may have experienced similar issues.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey; you sound like your panicking over the very minor issue.
It's a Check Engine Light; then your car is running poorly.
Exactly why the CEL came out! Thank Goodness for the CEL
sensor. It EXACTLY did its assigned job. Give it a pat on its back :rolleyes:
But seriously. Before you take it to indy; why not do some BASIC
trouble shooting yourself.
Check your Air Filter. Check the last time your Spark Plugs/Wires were replaced.
You say you have 219,000 miles. Check your log book. When did you last replace your Fuel Filter? Clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Your Cabin Lights? Are you sure its not been reset to not come on?
I sometimes fiddle at night and flip the wrong switch and then notice a frigging week later, Who the heck touched my light switch? ( Hint: It was me! )
Also; maybe a simple light bulb is out.

This could all be a matter of coincidence.
Don't sweat it.

Check your Key Switch Battery. Probably needs a new $8.00 battery.

Before handing over money to an Indy/Stealership basic Troubleshooting on your part gets you to KNOW your cab better and saves you a bundle!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.