Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine Oil Consumption C280

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  '91 300CE 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 C280 that I purchased about a year ago. Recently I noticed that the engine burns about a quart of oil in 3000 miles, and I would like to know if that is considered normal. The car has 89,000 miles, runs very well, has no oil leaks and no exhaust smoke. Please advise. Thanks

#2 ·
No this would not be considered excessive oil consumption/loss. If I recall correctly MB considers 1 quart per 500 miles to be excessive (or it could be 1 per 1000 miles).

Is your oil loss rate consistent or is it getting worse? Is there any way to verify with the previous owner (if you bought the car privately) to see if they had the same oil consumption rate?

#3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I drive my car sparingly, and just completed 3000 miles in almost a year. I purchased from a leasing company, no recent records were available or who owned it previously.
I will take your advise as being correct because I have owned other cars (not MB) that did use a quart over 3000 to 4000 miles. Thanks again, sir.

#4 ·
As another side of the coin... my C230K consumes practically zero oil in 10k miles... Not even near a quart in that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.