Changing Spark Plugs - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Changing Spark Plugs

Where are the spark plugs and ignition coil found on my 1994 C280? My car sounds like it is miss firing and has no power. Please help.
Vininha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
When you change your spark plug replace also the spark plug cables. Get original parts.

Eddie
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vininha
Where are the spark plugs and ignition coil found on my 1994 C280? My car sounds like it is miss firing and has no power. Please help.
Your spark plugs and ignition coils (there are three of them) are all located under the long silver panel in the centre of your valve cover. I think it is held in by either 4 or 6 allen-head screws. You'll have to remove the black plastic intake crossover pipe (connects the air filter to the intake manifold) in order to get access.

Each coil fires two spark plugs. There is a spark plug under each coil and then there is one under each plug wire, for a total of 6. As Curacao said, replace your plug wires while you're in there. There are only 3 plug wires, but there are also 3 coil end connectors that connect each plug to the coil.
jlomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: Amethyst 2001 C320
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds like you're having a wiring harness problem, and unfortunately replacing the spark plug wires won't fix that. Check this thread for more info: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...g-harness.html
n0alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0alpha
Sounds like you're having a wiring harness problem, and unfortunately replacing the spark plug wires won't fix that. Check this thread for more info: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...g-harness.html
Actually, on an M104, the very first thing you should check for missing/rough running are the plug-end connectors between the 3 coils and the spark plugs under them. They're a couple bucks a piece, and a common cause of minor idle problems. Major rough running problems are likely to be a failed coil, which is also a simple (and relatively inexpensive) thing to deal with.

It is completely possible that it could be the wiring harness, I'm not discounting that. But there are much easier things to eliminate first, from a diagnostic perspective. The OP didn't say if he had his CEL on or not. He should definitely try to pull codes to see if there are error codes related to a specific cylinder or cylinders, and go from there.
jlomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1994 C280 Sport Gunmetal Grey FULLY CUSTOMIZED
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
Actually, on an M104, the very first thing you should check for missing/rough running are the plug-end connectors between the 3 coils and the spark plugs under them. They're a couple bucks a piece, and a common cause of minor idle problems. Major rough running problems are likely to be a failed coil, which is also a simple (and relatively inexpensive) thing to deal with.

It is completely possible that it could be the wiring harness, I'm not discounting that. But there are much easier things to eliminate first, from a diagnostic perspective. The OP didn't say if he had his CEL on or not. He should definitely try to pull codes to see if there are error codes related to a specific cylinder or cylinders, and go from there.

Hello,

I am in the process of changing the plugs. Question How do I know if the wires,coils,black tube between coil and spark plugs are bad?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
BenzHell is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class