Replacement Brake Pads for a C280 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
can somebody give a quick "how to" on the FRONT brake pads for a C280 1999. Pictures are always wonderful. Thanks guys!
david83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 95 C280 Silver Metallic(champagne), 89 300E Onyx Mettallic<< All Options both w/car phones
i think i have some pics, of when i changed my calipers, lines, fluid,resorvoir, pads, rotors and re-greased my wheel bearings, i can only load five pics a post so if you need any other angles let me know.

Last edited by torrem3; 02-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
torrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 95 C280 Silver Metallic(champagne), 89 300E Onyx Mettallic<< All Options both w/car phones
So get everything assembled and have a jackstand holding the car up when you do this.

Replacement Brake Pads for a C280-dec2010-164.jpg

Look on the forum for a good list of reliable brand of products or get OEM from the dealer. As you can see almost everything I got was from the dealer minus the Zimmermann Rotors, Rebuilt Calipers and High performance SuperBlue ATE brake fluid.

Replacement Brake Pads for a C280-dec2010-165.jpg

Once the wheel is off and jack is firmly in place. Clean up the area from any brake dust whether its brake cleaner or a good shop rag/towel you will the brake caliper is composed of two pieces. A floating set up. Use a penetrating lubricant to help break the bolts loose. The bolts hold that center portion of the caliper to the outer portion of the caliper( called an anchor). I dont remember what size those were. 13mm maybe but don't quote me. DO NOT REUSE THOSE BOLTS. You new brake pad sets should come with new bolts use them, they should have a dribble of blue locktite on them already. You will have to use a wrench and a rachet as the nut that holds onto the caliper "floats" in the caliper. Before lifting the caliper, unplug the sensors from the pads. Once the bolts are off lift the caliper off and DO NOT let it dangle as the brake line will be stressed and damaged hang it with something. I used a wire hanger to the coil. Surprisingly heavy so make sure it hangs.
The pads should be sitting on top of the anchor, take them off.

Replacement Brake Pads for a C280-dec2010-173.jpg

This is the anchor removed the back side of the anchor facing up. The small holes on the bottom being where the caliper bolts on the larger bolt holes are for bolting the anchor to the spindle. Needs only to be removed if replacing the Rotors as well. Again Dont remember the bolt sizes some one please help on this one. was it 17mm? The Rotor popped off after removing a small hex bolt that sits between the wheel bolt holes.

Replacement Brake Pads for a C280-dec2010-174.jpg

This should be what you are staring at when everything is off. It was a great time for me to re-grease my wheel bearings

Replacement Brake Pads for a C280-dec2010-177.jpg

So with everything off look at the caliper that's hanging it should contain a plastic cap on top. Pop open the cap and the brake sensors are there. Some say to just leave them be regardless of used or not. I like to change things just to save myself the headache. pop them off. When putting the new pads, be sure to add brake paste to the back of the pads, otherwise risk serious squeaks. Be liberal with the paste. reassemble in reverse order. I don't have the tightening torques on me. I essentially cranked the torque wrench to 60ft/lbs and went at it. But again don't quote me. I should have done this write up back in sep/dec when I remembered everything...

Oh and check the rubber boots on the anchor if they are torn, replace. I added some bearing grease to it and popped my new boots on as mine were torn

anyone care to chime in on the specs and bolts sizes. When I did this, it was my first time as well...

Last edited by torrem3; 02-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1994 C280 Sport Gunmetal Grey FULLY CUSTOMIZED
The light has gone on letting me know it's time to change the brake pads. I have a C280 1994 and was wondering what tools will I need to do this job and actually how to do it..?? I guess it is different than later models but I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.
BenzHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2007
Akebono Eurospec. No dust, good stop!
marvinstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2006 C280 4 Matic
Are Ceramic Pads Ok? 2006 C280

Does anyone know if we are not supposed to use ceramic replacement brake pads for a 2006 c280? Front. Or do I have to stay with semi-metalic?
LibertyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Wrong forum try the W203 section, unless someone here knows about W203 brake tech

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class