Dash Removal Guide, Center Air Vent Solution, How to find Vacuum Leak, 148 pics - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Dash Removal Guide, Center Air Vent Solution, How to find Vacuum Leak, 148 pics

With this post, I will detail how I found my vacuum leak, and how I removed my dashboard and all the components to access and correct it. Please read it in full, and note that this is only for reference and may possibly contain errors, missing steps, and, or information specific to my 1995 C280. In other words, I don’t want to be held responsible.

http://www.zadefaraj.com/dashboard.htm

It's about 13 pages of text, and over 140 pictures, and way too large to fit on one forum. Took me a while to write up so I hope this helps someone.

Zade Faraj

Last edited by zadefaraj; 05-07-2009 at 08:24 AM.
zadefaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1992 300E
Send a message via AIM to JOESID
Thumbs up

wow!!!! I really hope I never need you ise your write up, but GREAT job!
JOESID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
That probably took longer to take pictures and do the write up than doing the actual job. Great stuff. I hope I don't need it though. All I had to do to fix my vacuum motor was remove the glove compartment and bottom cover on the right side...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 99 C280
Excellent post. interesting tools to remove the radio and climate control. was wondering what to use for that.
Germanengineering37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2005
Thanks! Your thread is wonderful.

That is AWESOME! Your attention to detail and taking the time to photograph step by step is incredible. My husband and I have talked about what it might take to remove the cassette holder (just b/c we don't like it and wanted to make a small storage cubby in that place). Your instructions are so thorough I think I'll try it first thing tomorrow!
nursestacy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1996 Silver C36
zadefaraj,

Very impressive work, thank you!
OzC36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Thanks a lot everyone! I hope it makes everyones task a bit easier, if anyone should ever need to use it.

nursestacy73, I would have another look at the picture really quick, because I'm not sure if there is some sort of clip or locking mechanism on the top (including the screw), but I think there is one one the bottom. In the pictures, specifically, http://www.zadefaraj.com/c280/CIMG1761.jpg there seems to be some kind of arm extending on the right of the screw. Not sure if this was one of those clips, but I do recall something being on the bottom that kind of aligned it with the ashtray. Good luck and let me know the results, so I can make the adjustments to the guide.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by zadefaraj; 02-09-2010 at 10:16 PM.
zadefaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Your report was fantastic. It is exactly what I needed. Thanks for spending so much time with your narrative and the photos were great.
Fburns2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Again, I have to congratulate you on your repair narrative. Today I took the dash off and removed the bad bellows. I would like to add that I started looking for a vacuum leak by starting at the vacuum pump in the trunk; then moved to the distribution valve under the hood; then a/c solenoid valve body; and ultimately at the base of each bellows. I had two torn bellows, the solid red and red with blue stripe. This is the second time I have removed the dash and the first time I have removed the steering wheel. I really don't find that a necessity. I believe I will replace all bellows while the dash is removed, as they are not that expensive and there is no desire to remove the dash again. Thanks for your help.
Fburns2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
Hi, Fburns2027. Could you please forward to me the photos that might help me find any vacuum leak in my 1995 C220. The center vents close when AC is on. There's also a whirring sound coming from the central locking vacuum pump whenever the AC is on and I'm stepping on the brakes. Thanks in advance.
paradisej is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class