Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W202 Common Problems and Their Solutions

817K views 365 replies 205 participants last post by  cadman777 
#1 ·
In an effort to improve the W202 forum, we're starting a "common problems and their solutions" thread for W202's. Before posting a new thread in the forum with your question, please check here for a solution as well as doing a search. For readability, please post in this forum in the following format:

Problem Description
Problem Cause
Solution (or link to thread with one)

#30 · (Edited)
2002 C230 Kompressor

-----------------------------
PROBLEM: Certain gas pumps will not fill the tank.

CAUSE: Unsure of cause. Possibly back pressure or something.

SOLUTION: Try another gas station, drive the car some more before filling tank (seems to help), pump gas with nozzle slightly out (about .5"). Last solution always seems to work.

Any ideas why this happens, and am I the only one with this problem?

PROBLEM: 6-Disc changer tray stops working after long periods of use. Car will automatically switch to Radio while playing a CD.

CAUSE: The Disc changer tray has overheated and tripped a sensor. Running the car for long periods, on a cold day with heat on, increases chances of problem.

SOLUTION: Open the glove box and remove the Disc tray. Turn off car heater. Allow at least 10 minutes of time for cool down before inserting the Disc changer tray, and attempting to play CD's again.

PROBLEM: Multi-function display quality decrease.

CAUSE: The multi-function display decreases in quality a lot from heat build up, and direct sunlight exposure while the car sits.

SOLUTION: Simply blocking the MFD with something to avoid direct light exposure does not to help much. It seems that heat build up mainly effects the quality of the display. Storage of car in a cool environment will prevent the problem.

#31 ·
Another common problems among the W202 vehicles is the Motor Mounts. According to the MB tech's Mercedes Benz never built a beter mount so that is why it has to be checked with in a year or so.

I had mine changed two years ago and today one is failing and the MB tech recomendation is to replace both mounts.

The soonest you feel your car vibrate or a rough idle check your mounts. You will loose some power since the engine is a little lower than normal. The soonest you replace then you will feel the difference in power and torque as well as quiteness.

Eddie

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
Odometer is not illuminating

I just bought a '99 c280 with 104,000 miles on it. This is my first Benz. It runs well so far. However, my odometer does not illuminate very well. I can barely read the numbers. Is this common? It looks like it's going out. Is there a fuse, do-it-yourself, or quick fix to this problem? Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Just next to the speed meter on your odometer there are (+) Plus and (-) Minus buttons. press the (+) plus to make the light brighter or the (-) minus to make it dimer.

Enjoy

#35 ·
Problem Description:

Rough Idle
2 Cylinders turn of with quick acceleration
Slow acceleration

Problem Cause:

Faulty Ignition Parts

Problem Solution:

Change all spark plugs, wires, surpressors and ignition coils.

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
There is a switch on the brake pedal that you should check...
Easy to take it out, I can't remember if it's normally on or normally of...
If you push it by hand and the lights are still on, try to short the plug... If the lights are still on you either have some faults in the wiring (dashboard mainly) or some shorts in the dashboard cluster itself...
Better check it with a good electrician...
The car is worth the money!

#39 ·
Thank you for your post, we will definately check that out later on tonight and will let you know if it fixed the problem! Hopefully its nothing serious, we took it to the Mercedes dealership and they wouldn't tell us whats wrong, just wanted us to pay $330 for just a checkup so we figured we'll do a better job ourselves! Thanks for helping you guys :thumbsup:

COOL PIC

#47 ·
Hey guys!
I might need a bit of specialized help...
I was cleaning the air filter the other day and noticed that it was dirty and oily around the engine admission tube... As if the engine backfires... But heck this ain't the old carburetor type engine...
Have any ideas???
I would really appreciate a good advice...
Thanks!

#48 ·
94 c280 rear defroster.

Hi, from waay up north.

I have a 94 c280 (around 287,000 Kms) with a non-functioning rear window defroster. Not too much of an issue now, but it really sucked back in January.
Resistance through window grid is fine, and I replaced the console switch. still nothing, when pressed, light comes on and goes out as soon as released. no voltage at rear window. Fuse(#16) checks out, anyone know which relay is part of the defrost system?

#50 · (Edited)
Thanks, I did check that relay, #0025420119. I swapped in another from a working car and it didn't have any discernable difference, more importantly, my relay did not cause the other's defroster/system to fail. I guess it's off to the wire tracing... does anyone have schematics for the rear defroster on a '94 c280?

Solution: it was a cold solder joint in the multi-purpose relay (#2018210247) once that was resoldered, the system worked again.

Thanks for all the help. That's why this is a great forum.

#51 ·
I had a similiar problem yet different. At idle my car would accelerate and decellerate with some roughness.

Symptom: Rising and falling idle with roughness

Solution: Replaced MAF, purchased at Autohausaz.com

Time for repair: 1 min.

I also replaced the camshaft position sensor yet still have a code.

#55 ·
I am have 1995 C280 an I have had everything fixed on my car even the engine wiring harness an my car still stalls, what it is I have slow acceleration. Please some one tell me what the problem is cause the MB Dealer can't they me after I had all these things fixed an I got them done of course an nothing have changed.