Air Conditioner Problem C230 Kompressor - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2005
Air Conditioner Problem C230 Kompressor

I believe I have a bad air conditioner compressor. I have priced it at the dealer and they want 2,200 bucks to replace for labor and parts. They say they have to basically break down the car to get to it. My question is, has anyone replaced a compressor on this model and if so how hard is it? Something worth doing or do I bite the bullet and pay the dealer?

Thanks for any help
Justin
Justin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1996 C280
Send a message via AIM to TheMadMidget
RE: Air Conditioner Problem C230 Kompressor

I replaced mine on a 1996 C280. New compressor & dryer is retailed for $1400 and you have a $200 core charge so that's really about $600 for labor. I'm not counting the freon cost. You've got to suck all the old crap out of the system, jury the spring clutch on the belt to stay open, undo a couple hose fittings, remove three big bolt for the compressor and two screws for the dryer, replace, and recharge system. If you have a vacuum pump, fittings, and about 5-6 hours, you can get a refurbished compressor and new dryer for around $700, it's also a pretty oily job, the new/refurbished compressor is loaded with thin grease that you keep in it, but one of the hoses mounts on the bottom so it's gotta to be plugged up while mounting the compressor and you have to be quick putting the hose/piping backing in.
TheMadMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 1999 C 230k
Send a message via AIM to duffbeer5

I actually had this probably within a year of purchasing my c230 from the dealer. Thankfully it was covered completely by waranty. In your case i would preferbly go out and guage prices. If you live anywhere near Shrewsbury NJ theres a place called german automotive that fixed a friend of mines and I am pretty sure it only cost her around $1400 (including labor).
Old 07-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1992 300E
Send a message via AIM to JOESID

I'm sorry I'm confused. I just got my car and the A/C didn't work. They said I needed a new Condenser and Dryer. But the condenser and compressor are different? (Sorry). Mine was the grill looking thing which I thought was the radiator. Anyway, mine cost $1250 for that, including labor.
JOESID is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class