battery dead? can't open trunk? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 2009 CLK550, 2007 E350 4Matic Sport
battery dead? can't open trunk?

just got back from 10 days away, and the C280 appears to have a dead battery (which I had just replaced in February; maybe I need an alternator?). remote won't unlock doors, so I used the mechanical key, and once inside, no lights on dash, and the key won't turn (?) in the ignition. worst of all, the trunk won't open, so I can't try to simply jump the battery. I can push the trunk release in to no avail, and, using the mechanical key, can lock (horizontal) and unlock (vertical, which is how I usually have it) the trunk, but it won't pop open. any ideas?

mine: 2009 CLK550 P2 + Ventilated seats, Keyless-Go, Bluetooth, iPod adapter
hers: 2007 E350 4Matic P2 + Sport Pkg, Keyless-Go, Bluetooth, iPod adapter
our MB's: 2000 C280 Sport [2003-2006] 2002 C230 Kompressor Sport [2005-2009] 2003 C320 Sport 4Matic [2006-2010] 2006 CLK350 [2009-2013] 2007 E350 Sport 4Matic [2010-present]2009 CLK550 [2013-present]
eddieo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
RE: battery dead? can't open trunk?

Quote:
eddieo45 - 4/25/2005 6:35 AM

just got back from 10 days away, and the C280 appears to have a dead battery (which I had just replaced in February; maybe I need an alternator?). remote won't unlock doors, so I used the mechanical key, and once inside, no lights on dash, and the key won't turn (?) in the ignition. worst of all, the trunk won't open, so I can't try to simply jump the battery. I can push the trunk release in to no avail, and, using the mechanical key, can lock (horizontal) and unlock (vertical, which is how I usually have it) the trunk, but it won't pop open. any ideas?
Someone invented a jump-start battery that sits in the cigarette lighter and give the car enough to crank over or in your case pop the trunk.

If you can find one of those semi-professional boost starters then I would use that. Just dont get the current ratings wrong with the wiring you may want to use.

I dont know how good you are with the car electronically but if it is anything like a W203 then there is a " + " under the bonnet for jump starting with a red cap on it marked " + "

The ground is obviously the body of the car.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1995 C220 & 2005 SLK230
Send a message via MSN to dwgorman

I believe that there is a manual trunk release behind the center rear seat arm rest.

Be sure to use the main key and not the valet key to open the trunk.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

put the blade key in the trunk lock, turn it all the way to the right (or maybe left), while you have it turned all the way, then push it in.
Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline

Be lazy and take advantage of your MB lifetime roadside assistance...[:D]
BBZLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1999 C280 210k miles
I will never cease being an idiot.....

So I have the A/T drained and filter pulled. I go to the trunk to grab the new pan gasket and filter but.....dead battery. I left the key in ignition, perhaps not in the 0 position.

Anyway, battery is dead and I can not open the trunk with the key or the button behind the rear arm rest. The valet key is all I have and it wil lnot turn right or left in the lock. A few years back the trunk latch got stuck closed and a locksmith skillfully opened her up.

So, any ideas about how to either get some power to the car or et the trunk open?

BTW, I don't want to start the engine because the tranny is dry!
gmascoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1997 W202-C180 Classic, smoke silver metallic, Lowered
here's a link that should help
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...open-boot.html
it'll just get your car started so you can open the boot, charge up the battery, etc.\
btw, there's a brown wire that's bolted to the body in the engine bay, this is a good place to place the ground/negative lead

also gmascoli, try charging the battery through the points mentioned above, or just enough so you can get the boot/trunk open

Last edited by 8=Anonymous=8; 12-23-2010 at 12:42 AM.
8=Anonymous=8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1997 C280 (Cambria).
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroj View Post
Someone invented a jump-start battery that sits in the cigarette lighter and give the car enough to crank over or in your case pop the trunk.
That sounds like a fire waiting to happen! Considering the high amount of amperage needed to start a car, let alone the EXTRA amperage these kind of cars need since the battery is in the trunk.

There is no way the wires running to the cig lighter would handle such amperage, they are made to handle 10A TOPS. Not near a thousand...

1997 CL600
C280Cambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1999 C280 210k miles
All
Thanks for the input. I'm back alive again. Best solution is to locate the positive terminals in the engine bay and jump to a good battery to open the trunk. That's what I did, very easy. The positive terms in the 99 C280 are in a black box adjacent to the fuse box. Some threads have pictures of what to look for.
I would not try to start the car by jumping here, but this is the right method to open the trunk.
gmascoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2007
Trickle Charge

The cig lighter adapter is just meant to trickle charge the battery. Plug it in and go take a nap. Come back in a couple of hours and try and start the car.
marvinstockman is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class