Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Windshield wiper blade: wrong position.

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Makarov1 
#1 ·
The windshield wiper blade halts in the wrong position, about 9cm or 3.5" up from the normal resting position. I think it happened because the wiper "stalk" got dry and the blade momentarily halted 2 or 3 times in the middle of the screen (of course I then lubricated the stalk, the easy fix..) However the motor seems to have gained a "memory" of this "new" rest position.
Note that when the windshield wiper is actually working there is no problem as it wipes the full width of the windshield!
CAN ANYONE TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT TO DO TO THE MOTOR TO PUT IT RIGHT, BEFORE I TAKE IT APART PLEASE? (I do believe it's a motor problem, but trying to get MB Australia to tell me exactly what to do is like pulling teeth.)

#3 ·
Yes, I have now actually had it apart already and the site you have mentioned gives the correct information, thank you. I will do the job in a few days; however it will be interesting when I have it apart because the wiper is in the wrong position because IT WAS FORCED there by the wiper "stopping" half way across the windshield because the wiper stalk (about 10cm long) was DRY, not greased: It has maybe caused damage to the "cog" or spline" of the offset plate....
I believe that greasing the stalk is NOT in some of the maintenance manuals!! It is ESSENTIAL (and VERY easy) to grease: simply remove the piece of plastic that covers the base of the wiper blade, stick your finger in some grease, and wipe it around the stalk! If the "cog" or "spline" is damaged it will cost me US$1,000, all because of a finger of grease...

#4 ·
Further to the sticky wiper problems, it seems this is a worldwide problem! I've now been able to help about 10 people to repair their problem wipers and am frankly amazed that Mercs seem to have failed to include this simple lubrication in their service manuals!
Anyhow since I first did the job on my C180 I've never had a repeat of the problem, and quite honestly it wasn't that difficult to do the job, just a little time-consuming and detailed.
If I knew where to place the information; together with pictures; on the web I would be happy to do so.
Good luck to all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.