c280. running rough idle. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Send a message via Yahoo to akin
c280. running rough idle.

my c280 94, just stall and i called a mechanic and the fuel filter was changed and injector was cleaned but it is still have a rough idle. what can i do
akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
RE: c280. running rough idle.

All I can tell you is make sure you check the wiring harnes, don't let that go bad and fry your ECU. That;s the worst case senerio little things to check, are the 0xygen sensors, the plugs, wires, and coil connectors. All relativly cheap and you can fix yourself. Also check all the grounds under the hood the car has a few. Good Luck

1994 C280 Emerald
Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks, Brembo Cross drilled rotors, AMG Stagered Stars off CLK 430, MY TRUE GEM
Jeep1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1986 W124 300E

If your car is stalling for no good reason, ie when slowing down in traffic it just cuts out its likely to be the Over Voltage Protection relay (OVP). These relays had a design fault in them from new. The replacement has been redesigned internally and cures the problem.

Its a real common fault on all M104 engined cars, ie such as yours. It costs about $60 to purchase and can be fitted in about 5 minutes.

If you car is surging (ie; rev needle starts bouncing up and down and car starts to jerk forward) whilst in gear and waiting at lights its likely to be a dirty throttle body. Again this is another real common problem. The butterfly flap in the throttle body collects a load of crap on its outer rim which stops in from closing properly. This then confuses the ECU and it tries to pump more fuel into the engine etc etc.

Easy job to clean it with some Carb cleaner. This job is often overlooked when your car goes in for service and causes all sorts of problems on the M104 engines.

Good luck

Previous Mercs

1995 C280 Elegance 42,000 miles, Black
1993 E280 91,000 miles, Black (accident)
2001 E220 CDi Advantgarde
1998 C230K Sport
1997 C200 Sport
mjtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

Could this be similar for a 2000 C280? I ran the carb cleaner/fuel injector cleaner but i dont see why those would get dirty when i use 98 octane all the time. Is this bad. Any help is useful and appreciated.
Poppagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

Quote:
mjtray - 5/21/2004 5:19 AM

If your car is stalling for no good reason, ie when slowing down in traffic it just cuts out its likely to be the Over Voltage Protection relay (OVP). These relays had a design fault in them from new. The replacement has been redesigned internally and cures the problem.

Its a real common fault on all M104 engined cars, ie such as yours. It costs about $60 to purchase and can be fitted in about 5 minutes.

If you car is surging (ie; rev needle starts bouncing up and down and car starts to jerk forward) whilst in gear and waiting at lights its likely to be a dirty throttle body. Again this is another real common problem. The butterfly flap in the throttle body collects a load of crap on its outer rim which stops in from closing properly. This then confuses the ECU and it tries to pump more fuel into the engine etc etc.

Easy job to clean it with some Carb cleaner. This job is often overlooked when your car goes in for service and causes all sorts of problems on the M104 engines.

Good luck

Mate,

How do you actually clean the throttle body? And would you mind pointing me where it is. MB engine bays are pretty confusing to look at.
My C280 also "surges", and I don't know if I should start to worry. I just replaced my MAS and OVP.
c280fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Send a message via Yahoo to akin

i got the problem solved by changing the air filter, fuel filter and repair the broken part of the coil
wire
akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Severe roug idle, 94 C280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtray View Post

Good luck
I thought the 94 C280 was a W202 motor. I have heard it told that the M104 and W202 are very similar as well. Either was I am having these exact same problems but my 94 C280 is a W202 and is injected, not a throttle body to my knowledge. I cannot see any throttle body and my air filter has no visible TBI unit near it. Any help would be completely appreciated.

Cheers,
GP
chemical_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1996 c220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemical_dreams View Post
I thought the 94 C280 was a W202 motor. I have heard it told that the M104 and W202 are very similar as well. Either was I am having these exact same problems but my 94 C280 is a W202 and is injected, not a throttle body to my knowledge. I cannot see any throttle body and my air filter has no visible TBI unit near it. Any help would be completely appreciated.

Cheers,
GP
W202 is the body code. And rough idle could be because of many problem. Do not ignore it, the CEL may try to tell you something, try to check if the head gasket is okay. My C220 had a leak in gasket and it let things into it and caused the hydrolock and blown the engine.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: E36 AMG & C36 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtray View Post

Good luck
nice 1 i googled this problem and found your post! my wife was really upset about this merc i got her! C280 1996 (engine wiring harness fixed from factory).

had all the same problems which was posted~! last week the car was really bad! good job i got the E36 AMG which has the 3.6 litre M104 engine. one of the coil packs went bad, so i took one off my car. bit of swapping around. but that wasnt all! the car was idling and bouncing and cutting out. changed the regualtor on the alternator, the old one was well worn out! the car got better but still not right. still jerky! thought that the OVP had been changed from the factory by now on this year, im pretty sure it has been. so i got the carb cleaner from halfords £4.98 sprayed half of it down the throttle body and hey presto!! jobs a good one. i remember doing this to my 1986 300E m103 engine but had to change the OVP as well. but i completly forgot about it! this post brought it all back.

the throttle body and butterfly flap was stinking full of black carbon build up, about 2mm thick.

the car has 153k miles on it and now drives like it did from new. wow! like a dream!

hope this helps any one else who has cutting out problems on thier mercedes e class or c class (280, 300, 320, E36/c36 etc)

paul
mr.wiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2001 CLK55 AMG
here is a really old picture of my engine, however it serves the purpose. the part circled in red is the throttle body. you take the black hose off by undoing a clamp. when you can see the butterfly valve, spary the cleaner around the edges to remove the black carbon. feel free to open the valve with your hands as well ti spray the ring on the pipe. i did this with my car off. you dont want unfiltered air going into the engine, also the maf not see airflow.

sorry if my drawings are confusing. haha
Attached Thumbnails
c280. running rough idle.-img_3919d.jpg  

Last edited by liquidusculade; 01-12-2009 at 06:25 PM.
liquidusculade is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class