Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

om601 transplant candidates

875 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  clarknova 
#1 ·
So my imported V230 having spent more time out of service than in lately, I'm starting to mull the idea of dropping its beautiful 2.3 L turbodiesel engine into something a little more fun, more domestic.

With the 190d having been available with the 2.2 L NA version of the om601, am I presuming too much in thinking that my om601.970 might be an easy drop-in to a w201?

I don't have a specific 190 in mind. Should I be focusing exclusively on a diesel-from-birth model? Would a 190e 2.3 or 2.6 serve as well?

I haven't been able to find out much about the various transmissions that these cars were equipped with, so I don't know if one would be a better match than another for my donor engine. My natural preference would be a manual gearbox, but there don't appear to be too many examples for sale in Canada.

As for other details such as diff ratios, cooling, gotchas, etc, I'm right clueless at this point. Anybody here interested in pointing me in the right direction with this dream?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Its nice to own a vehicle with a perfect engine however, putting it in a 190 will be too involved.
If you have the work ethic like the guy putting a V-12 in a 190.......then its a very doable job. But finding a 190 that is beautiful with 100% mechanicals is hard to find. And expensive to bring up to speed.
But I do understand, I had a hot rod VW engine that was put into several cars. (older 40 hp engine making maybe 60 hp). I also had a 1955 Super 75 Porsche engine I had in a 59A and a 62B 356. Easy back then. Not as much now.
I remember driving a 1978 Mazda GLC to the junk yard with a great engine, but needing a suspension redo.
Pick the car you really want, buy it, maintain it............and drive it for years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.