Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine does not start after repair fuel distributor

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  javelin68 
#1 ·
Hi everybody.

PROBLEM: My car does not start after I repaired its fuel distributor, just crank and crank.

CAR: 190E, 4CYL, 2.0, manual tans (4 gears), Bosch K-Jetronic (without lambda and CO sensor).

PREVIOUS FACTS:

1) I repaired the fuel distributor with a "Precision Machinery" repair kit. I think it works well. No fuel if there is not pressure in Air Throttle Plate. On the other hand, if I press the plate the fuel comes out nicely.

2) The first time I installed the repaired fuel distributor, the car started but I had to press the plate (2mm) and the throttle otherwise it died. After that, I turn the mixture (clockwise) until the plate had no play and the car start but the idle was very bad.

3) I played a little bit with the mixture but the car died and since then it does not start. The engine just cranks and cranks.

4) There is fuel coming out from the injectors. There is spark in each cylinder.!!

I dont know what happened and how to solve it. Furthermore, I am considering adjust the timing in case but I am not sure how to do it properly.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for my english

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'd try to readjust the mixture screw to where it was before you started.

I would not try to adjust the timing.

Tell us why you had to repair the fuel distributer. What was your car doing before you started this repair.

I've had a broken larger vacuum line make my car die twice in the 20 years I've owned my car. The shop said it was a vacuum line under the intake manifold. Unfortunately, I never looked to see where the repair was made.

But, my car had fuel, spark........but a large enough air leak that it would not fire.

#5 ·
I presume you gut the FD and removed/replaced the rubber gasket and O-rings. If that's true, your problem is likely the A/F ratio. For one, the air sensor plate needs a play; it cannot be tightly closed all the time.

When you opened the FD and put it back together, you altered the internal fuel plunger setting which controls the amount of fuel to the injectors in response to the air plate sensor. To adjust that, you will need access
to the A/F adjustment screw - you know that already.

Play with A/F ratio; clockwise for rich and counter-clockwise for lean(please verify this). Right now, it seems like your FD is too rich; turn the A/F counter-clockwise until you have 2-3mm play on air plate sensor.

Check if your manifold is flooded with gas by removing the air sensor plate and look in there; if you see fuel in there(the manifold), pump them out. If you don't see any gas in there; continue playing with the A/F ratio
until it starts; be prepared to jump the car since you may kill the battery during this process.

One thing to note: if you see lots of gas or fuel in the manifold, you may have a bigger problem. That means gas is leaking through the fuel plunger - it is likely an O-ring rubber was pinched or damaged during installation.

I also replaced the gasket on my FD on 2.6 engine, it took awhile to find the right A/F ratio. When it finally started, it struggled a bit then I hit the RPM to clear out any remaining gas in the chambers and manifold. It now idles
nicely at 600 rpm and starts at first crank every time.

Good luck.

jav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.