Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

replaced speedo cable - gauge still flutters

913 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dolucasi 
#1 ·
I just replaced the speedometer cable on my car (84' 190E manual trans) because it was fluttering pretty bad at around 45-60 mph. After installing the new cable, it's improved but still not completely fixed. The gauge now flutters at lower speeds (20-40 mph). I used the correct cable for the manual trans...

Could this have something to do with the cable routing? Also, maybe I'm not tightening the cable to the cluster enough? I'm just tightening it by hand - should I be using something to tighten it more? I don't want to damage anything...

#2 ·
Where did you get your cable? Assuming from AutoHausAZ, their aftermarket cables are off poor quality and they are slightly shorter than the specified OEM by about 5-10mm. And yes I received the specified "Manual" cable. The length is very important, it needs a little slack which is not there with the aftermarket.

I installed mine a couple of months ago and it is making a winding noise at higher speeds and the gauge is vibrating around the same speed range (20-40). The really low speed gyration is gone that was prevalent with the original though.

Needless to say I paid the big bucks and got the OEM cable from the dealership. Have not put it in yet.

#3 ·
Yep, I got it from AutohausAZ. The brand is GEMO, which I think is the OEM. I laid the old cable next to the new one side-by-side and they appeared to be pretty darn close to the same length (could be a few mm difference I suppose). I may try reviewing the routing again to make sure there are no kinks anywhere, and maybe disconnecting/reconnecting it from the cluster to see if that does anything.

I'm curious to hear about your luck with the cable from the dealership when you get it installed.

#4 ·
It is close but no cigars. Even a few millimeters matter especially because it is not build as well. It needed to be 10-15mm longer in my opinion.
The cable is more "flimsy" compared to the OE.

Also make sure the plastic retaining clips (both) under the car are not broken off. Mine did as I was removing the original and I replaced both.
Also, the clips diameter was too large for the poorly built aftermarket, so I had to improvise to get make them work.

Currently in the middle of another "involved" project but will send you an update when done. Not looking forward to pulling the cluster out again.
Just did that twice already in the last 4 months. I'm getting good at it though.

#5 ·
Gemo is an OEM, but the OE MB speedo cable is by VDO. I just installed a Gemo and wouldn't call it flimsy, however the VDO is nicer - particularly the gold anodized fitting on the end. They were both identical in length for my application, and the Gemo fit snug in the OE clips.

I would pull the cluster again and make sure the crimped end didn't pull out at all. This happened to me when I had to pull the cluster again to replace a bulb that outed on me, and tried to get by w/o removing the cable from the trans side. Make sure the little square male end of the cable comes to the end of the sheath. I don't think you need to tighten any more than as firm as you can by hand. As for the end on the trans, make sure that's seated completely too. It took a little work to get it in for me, a good 10 times pulling it out, twist, and pushing back in hoping it mates. A few times I thought it was in all the way, but it came out with a good tug.

#6 ·
My experience with the Gemo is similar. I actually did the cable 3 times to check out 2 instrument clusters from the pick and pull using the VDO original. Never head issues with the original except all had the very low RPM dance (which is common I believe for a 28 year cable).

When I decided on the cluster that is going in with the new cable I just hooked it up properly with the new Gemo. First hooked up the cluster end and then the transmission end. And yes the speedo transmission end at least for the manual transmission took multiple tries as it is really tight in there.

187, I believe yours is an automatic correct? I believe the problem with the Gemo is their manual cable (149cm?). I also did a side by side comparison prior to installation and the Gemo was shorter than the VDO. Short enough in that it had me concerned before I finished the job, and I looked at the packaging to make sure it was the correct model, and it was

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.