Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

will these wheels fit?

17K views 85 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike83benz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
On my 1990 190e I have standard suspension and unrolled arches.
I don't intend modifying and want to fit a set of used alloys:
5X112 66.6 7.5J R16 ET42
Wheel bolts are M12 (I think)
Will they fit directly and if so what is the appropriate tyre size?

thank you
D.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi,
No, this is a different set of wheels.
Previous thread wheels were w211 which have the m14 lugs which won't directly fit my W201
I thought the wheels on this thread were W210 which have m12 lugs which would directly fit my W201.
So, are the wheels on this thread W211 or W210?
If W211 I'll forget them.
If W210, will they fit my car?
Thank you
D.

http://www.wheelsupport.com/mercedes-benz-bolt-pattern/

#4 ·
#6 ·
The above W210 wheels are the first generation wheels and I don't think it will look nice on the 190.
I would recommend to go with the face-lift W210 wheels which is more nicer looking than the first generation. See pictures below for reference of the newer W210 base wheels.
Or if you want something better, you can go with the W210/E420 wheels similar to what I used to have on my 190 and I regret selling them.

Attachments

#7 ·
Agree to disagree with your first statement, but those wheels on your car in the picture look great. Those are 17"s from the V8 W210, correct?

My personal favorite 16" MB wheels for the W201 are pretty much anything from the R129. 8, 12, and 15-hole all work really well, with the 15-hole being the nicest, of course!

#9 ·
Hamada, I like those wheels on the picture with the red but I'm going in the direction of sourcing spare wheels from the local JY which are generally unused brand new for $20 each. Just have to buy them one at a time over a period. What do you think is the best (most common 16/17 inch, wider) stock benz model to look for there that will fit a W201? I suspect W210 E420 would be rather rare in the JY even though I have 5 JY to pick from.

BTW, was color matched, red body moldings standard in '93? My '89 had a god awful maroon two tone (no offense to anyone out there) that I had the dealer repaint prior to purchase. To my surprize the re-paint help up, not a chip/fade after 28 years, not bad.

Hamada our cars look pretty identical (except the wheels of course, I have still have stock wheels) if I change the turn signals to white from amber (I have both but the amber's are on at the moment)

#10 ·
The previous owner had the lower molding repainted to match the body which I also prefer over the Two tone color especially on Signal red cars.
I guess any C/E class wheel should fit the W201 from the same era but I will advice to keep it at 16" to avoid rubbing the fenders.
I still have the stock wheels in the garage and thinking to add some wider tires to it and re-use them.

#13 · (Edited)
Just note, there is E420 16" wheels (pre lift) and E430 17" (post lift) wheels. See 2Phast's green car below with the E430 wheels.
The E430 will even look 10x nicer than the E420 as you will find most of the E420 wheels are faded and dull most of the time compared to the E430.
There is also W211 wheels such as the E500, see @Jippi car below with E500 replica (Smoke Silver W201).
My car below (red) with W203 C Class 16" wheels (which honestly I don't like that much).

The silver W210 below has the 16" wheels (E420) and the Champagne W210 has the 17" wheels (E430).

Attachments

#15 ·
Of the options you presented Hamada, I'm liking the pre-lift E420 the most I think (16 inch version). The post list appears to have more rounded holes and the less rounded they are the better for the W201 (my taste) as the car itself is more cornered.

We can probably all agree that all of these wheels look nicer on a W201 than a W210.
No offense to anyone, as I have had both (at at the same time for a while)

Do you know the years the pre and post lift ran for the E420?

Pre-lift 1996 - ??
Post lift ?? - 2002

I have a feeling I can source those E420 prelift wheels (spares in brand new condition) dirt cheap at the Junk Yards here as I mentioned before.

Will I need new lugs or the lugs from the E420 or the originals from my car just work?

#17 ·
Thanks Hamada. I checked Wikipedia and according to them the stock wheels are as such:

The W210 chassis originally came with one of the following OEM wheel setups:

E200/E220CDI/E230/E240(pre-facelift)/E300diesel: 15 x 6.5" ET37
E200Kompressor/E240/E280/E320/E420: 16 x 7.5" ET41
E430: 16 x 7.5" ET41 (before 2000); 17 x 7.5" ET41 (after 2000

So we are looking for 16 x 7.5 ET41 wheels and the models are:

E420 or E430, 1996 - 1999.

Of about a dozen available 210's around me at least one 1997 E420 seems to have what looks like your old wheels. Probably worth investing 20 bucks to see if it fits.

#19 ·
I was using 205/55/16 on the E class wheels and still using the same size on the current W203 C class wheels, but I am having minor rubbing issue only in the front bumper lip when I hit a dip/pump on the road especially when I have passengers. I would recommend going with 205/50/16 to avoid any rubbing in the front. But also some members here don't have any issues with 205/55/16 so it all depends but to be on the safe side go with 205/50.
I think you can also go with 215 in the back if you want to have a staggered setup and a wider look.

#22 ·
Easiest to just grab the lugs from the wheel donor car. Or I'd at least grab one to compare to the stock lugs. If the shank length is the same you can use your stock lugs. The other consideration is the length of the head so that they sit flush with the face of the wheel if that's a concern to you. Personally, I think it's a good look and worth the cost of the bolts.

#24 ·
Thanks guys. The lugs stems from the 420 and the 190 are the same. The head is longer on the 420 for a better look.
So I agree the 420 lugs look better.

I tried the wheel on both back and front. Man the front fit is really tight with about 5-6 mm to spare to the strutt.

I wonder is it will be a problem with another strutt.

It seems like the rubbing that happens at the corner where the bumper meets the body will be tight too.

I wonder if a 7-inch wide 17-inch rim would be a better fit then a 7.5 inch wide 16 inch rim like these (of course with the proper off-set)

Can anyone think of a 7 inch wide 17 inch rim instead from a W124 or W210?

- Sinan

#25 · (Edited)
With a more appropriately sized tire you will have more clearance. A 205/55 is actually wider at its widest point than a 205/50, but the tread width is generally about the same. On my car I use a 205/45 on a 16x8 et34. The only rubbing is on the inside top of the fender arch only when I hit an incline at speed with the wheels turned like pulling into a parking lot. And my car's lowered a fair amount.

To get some more room up front where the bumper and fender meet you can space the fenders out a bit.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1638284-diy-easy-budget-friendly-fender-spacer.html

If you want a kit lemme know. I have the parts laying around that got for a friend and he didn't end up needing.

#26 ·
Thanks for the offer 187. Yes I have read that a spacer can be used for the body to gain a a little more room.
Not sure how involved that is and if it looks OK.

On a parallel thought though it looks like if one is willing to run offset tires, the best combination is 215 in the rear and 195 in the font. It will also look best (more balanced) that way. I currently run 205 in the rear and 185 up front with the original rims. It looks more balanced in my opinion.

Besides the look the 195 should also eliminate the need for a body kit.

Will a J7.5 rim accommodate a 195 tire? And will it look OK?

#27 ·
The fender spacers are undetectable for the most part. Other than having a little more flare to the fenders, there is a little more lip at the bottom of the corner light when the fender flexes out, but that's really it. You have to really know these cars to notice a difference. See the after/before pics in this thread: AMG fender spacer kit details and install Using stacked nylon washers you can make the spacers whatever thickness you want. It's not a very involved install - takes about half hour working at a gingerly pace. The bumper doesn't have to be removed from the car.

A 195 will look fine on a 7.5" wheel. TireRack lists the tread width and section width of their tires, so you can get an idea of how they will fit the wheel. There is actually quite a bit of variance between different tires in the same size.

#30 ·
Sorry Hamada, I do not have a single picture of the car after I got the new tires about 6 months ago. The pictures will have to wait. The 205/185 split it the best I could do with the original rims. I think the split configuration should look even better with the 16-inch J7.5 rims (once I complete the set)

#33 ·
Ok Hamada, car is back on the road after a scare post cam/rocker replacement and running better than ever.

And sorry about hijacking this thread which seems to happen when the subject matter is rims and tires.

I'm posing a series of pictures, first two are 185/65R15's all around and the last three are 185/65R15's up front and 205/60R15's in the rear, all original rims.
The 205's look a little balooney on the J6 rims but this is the best I could do for the look using stock springs and rims. See if you can tell the difference in these photo's.

Honestly, I think the best low cost and easy to source solution for this car would be the W210/E420 rims like you had in the past with split sizing 195/55R16's up front and 215/50R16's in the rear.
That would look balanced in the wheel well and there should be no rubbing issues at all. And the diameter size is almost identical to the original's (185/65R15).

Attachments

#35 ·
Yep, I noticed that too. Your PO must have taken care of the color coordinated mirrors together with the molding re-paint. I think that was an AMG feature as well. Still looking for my second 210 rim to add to the collection. They go fast at the JY (within 24 hours).

#36 ·
'92-93 have color-keyed mirrors.

Just curious, does killing the ability to rotate the tires not bother you guys? All the negative camber on the rear makes me think this car is rough on tires, but having only owned it for a year and being on a new set of tires since about Halloween, I'm far less experienced with the platform than y'all. My last couple cars would go through tires pretty quick, and rotating helped a lot. Miss a cycle and the rears would be noticeably worse than the fronts. I would go for a set of staggered wheels, but I dunno if it's worth staggering the tires on the same wheels F/R, to me at least.

#37 ·
My recollection is that I have never rotated my tires with this car for the many years I owned it and my guess is my friend never did either. The rears just naturally wear in a balanced way, so do the fronts. The rears wear a little faster by very little but you can just replace in pairs. I have owned SAAB 99/900's in my youth and they were notorious to wear out the fronts. Not so with the W201 in my opinion.

When I replaced the set 6 months ago, the tires were never rotated and all four were pretty much worn together in a balanced way.

So unless you have alignment issues, go for it, the look really does improve with the rears being 2cm wider.

#42 ·
Keeping this rim/tire post alive instead of starting a new one.

A new W201 came into the PnP today. I believe a 1999 E320. All four are available but they are bit worn-out.So I'm going to pass.
Just curious, anybody recognize these rims? They appear to be about 1/2 inch wider than the E420 rims I'm searching for. So I'm not even sure if they will fit.

I'm still looking to complete the 1997 E420 rims though. I need 3 more.

Attachments

#45 ·
Yes, the wheels above are factory wheels for some W210 models. May look nice also on the W201.
Yep, so they are 1/2 inch wider at 8" than the others I'm chasing (E420's). And they are 17 inch, not sure what the offset is.
I know the 7.5" 16 inch rims of the E420 barely fits the front with all stock fenders/struts/coils, so I' not sure if these will. It would be tight though.

Thanks for the reply guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.