Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A doorlock question...

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  partnumber187 
#1 ·
I've only had my Benz for about a month and I'm not sure how the drivers door lock is supposed to work. If i'm inside I can press down on the drivers lock and all the locks will lock, but when I get out of the car I can't push the button down while its open. So I always have to lock the doors with the key. Is that how it works? or do I have a problem?

#6 ·
Hmm... does anyone know if its possible to change that feature? One of the door switches must be hooked up to the lock so it knows if the door is open or not. Maybe cutting the right wire would allow the lock to be pushed/locked anytime. :eek
I know I'd rather be able to lock it without the key and will save wear on the lock cylinder too.

#7 ·
Just want to make sure I'm following this. You would like to modify the design just to prolong the expected life of the driver side of the central locking system? Why are you fixated on that? That is a rare failure and if it ever does go bad you can just replace the tumbler and the keys from a donated car. Don't mean to discourage you but you will spend 1000's of dollars on other little things that actually do go wrong with an older Mercedes.

Example: My car is 28 years old and if I add all the repairs and maintenance items from day one, I probably spent >$20K in the last 28 years. Needless to say all my door locks are original.

#9 ·
The system is pulsed vacuum, not like the older ones where the lines were always under vacuum and the elements would fail often. I have not had to replace a single vacuum element in the lock system since owning it from 1993, probably because of this. Mine has an alarm with remote unlock/lock. May help you.

#17 ·
#22 ·
I'll have to look into that keyless add on as well. On my teal 190E the door lock cylinders no longer work so I have to always unlock everything using the trunk lock.

My other 190E has a rather fancy alarm installed. About 6 years ago I had the factory alarm replaced w/ a Python alarm w/ pager alert and a remote start system. The keyless function works great w/ the vacuum locks and the front and rear turn signals blink when you arm/disarm the car. Plus I like being able to monitor the car via the pager remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.