Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Intermittent Left Front wheel shake at or above 80 mph: What from and how to solve?

617 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  2.6_Steve 
#1 ·
Hello, for the most part my car is pretty solid for its 275,000 miles and even passed emissions by a wide margin. Lately though I have had the strangest issue in that anywhere from 0-80 mph my car is smooth as they come NVH-wise but once I get up to 80 mph or above I get this intermittent clop clop clop.....clop clop clop vibration from my left front wheel. The oddest part is its intermittent as there is a pause in between the shaking, in neat little 3 moment bursts. I had an alignment on Friday and it seems to have toned it down quite a bit but the effect is still there. My tires aren't the greatest but my industry is down right now so I've had to make do with my existing set of tires. The car still handles fine and stops great and accelerates good like usual its just take it up to 80 and CLOP CLOP CLOP......CLOP CLOP CLOP

Anyone have an idea what's causing this and what would fix this?

#3 ·
Is it related to steering angle?

What I would do is pull the wheel and look for tell-tale interference marks. A prime candidate would be the ball joint boot interfering with a wheel weight, loose cable tie on the strut, sloppy suspension bushing, or a loose bearing.

#6 ·
OK, so your steering wheel is not shaking like one would with a wheel out of balance or the steering dampener that is worn. Seems like something NOT attached to the steering itself is loose and vibrating at high speed like another user commented. Must be something loose with the struts, like the rubber boot or like.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.