Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190e 1993 no start slow af crank (video)

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Stretch 
#1 ·
Have a look: (all dash lights work fine at startup i forgot to mention in the video)

#2 ·
Your cranking indicates no power. You have not enough battery power to start the car. I suggest taking the battery to an auto store to have it checked. A bad alternator can ruin a battery and both will have to be replaced.

An alternator can appear to be fine but when in operation, is undercharging the battery.

#3 ·
That was my first thought too... so I connected the battery to an external charger and charged it till it was full and still the same thing happened.. when I test the battery with a mutlimeter its reading 14v.. still it could be the battery??

#5 ·
If you are absolutely sure the battery is fully charged and stays that way after being loaded (so with fully charged battery - try to start engine for say 5 seconds - still has same charge) then there could be other problems.

If you have a 27mm deep socket and a ratchet handle make sure that the crank (engine) turns freely. It is very important to only turn the crank by hand when the ignition is off (disconnect the battery if you must) and the transmission / gearbox is in neutral. ONLY Turn it in a clockwise direction (in the sense of you standing in front of the car looking at the engine scratching your head thinking "what the fu...")

The crank should turn quite freely for a little bit and then as you build up compression in one of the cylinders it should be a bit stiffer to move until it again comes free - and then a bit stiff etc etc...

...if the engine cranks (by hand) as described then I would be looking at the starter motor as the likely problem child.

#6 ·
update .. turn but no start

had battery tested, cold crank amps were way low, bought a new one put er in tried to start it and now she turns but still no fire up... so then could it be injectors or spark and if so how do i check those? my youtube and google searches are producing too many variations and on too many dif vehicle makes. happy to post a new video, if itl help to hear it.

#10 ·
had battery tested, cold crank amps were way low, bought a new one put er in tried to start it and now she turns but still no fire up... so then could it be injectors or spark and if so how do i check those? my youtube and google searches are producing too many variations and on too many dif vehicle makes. happy to post a new video, if itl help to hear it.
Well at least the starter motor turns and there's nothing serious inside stopping the crank from spinning!

The safest way to check for a spark on these cars is to use a timing light. The conventional way of removing a spark plug and holding it against the engine block (with insulated pliers!) is not an appropriate method: The FSM has loads of warnings about this - says not to do it.

...but that involves yet more tools you don't have...

...try this (we'll check fuel instead) =>

Remove the fuel filler cap and listen for any air being sucked into the fuel tank. Put the cap back on. Key in ignition - click the ignition on (don't make the starter turn) and listen for a buzzing noise at the back of the car.

If that doesn't happen then the fuel pump isn't running / working.

#9 ·
i hadn't noticed any gas issues, and it hadn't been sitting, i actually stopped driving it because it was acting up and i didn't want to take my risk stalling out in an intersection (again) so before it died completely it would start but sometimes die in idle, or it wouldn't start and weird things like the wipers would go when i hadn't touched them in weeks, near the end i had to jump it every time i wanted to start it, and the last time i moved it it was about a 7km trip and it stalled died and never started again as soon as i hit the break after backing into the spot.

#11 ·
...weird things like the wipers would go when i hadn't touched them in weeks...
This could be ground / earthing trouble - check your fuel pump as described above first though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.