Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W201 eBay / CL finds

60K views 191 replies 53 participants last post by  tkarttrev 
#1 ·
#7 ·
It's a 2.3, so not really difficult to work on. Headgaskets are things to keep an eye out for, also rust around jacking points, wheel wells, etc.

The interior has some issues, like the canted ash tray, but that's not too hard to fix/replace. The four speed gearbox is a nice touch, and so is the interior seat trim. Easy to care for.

If the car has no serious rust issues, drives fine, all the electricals work, then I don't see why this wouldn't be a nice buy. I'd probably see if you can get it for $1500 or so first.

Verifying the mileage is another thing to do, make sure the odo does work, so a test drive would be smart.

Manual windows!! How I miss those.

Just give it a look.

#13 ·
An examination in person could confirm any damage done to the front. It's hard to cover that up without investing a lot of time/money.

The ignition tumbler is something that's been added to the ad since I last saw it a few months back.

It could still check out to be a nice car, but probably no more than $2000.

#20 ·
This car requires a complete tear down and replacement of a large number of original parts (missing tow hook cover, wrong muffler). The dash needs to go and all the seats need a leather replacement (perforating the leather is the hardest part). I imagine every rubber hose, clip and connector has to go. All the wiring is probably no good. Clutch is probably not an MB clutch.

This price does not match the value of this particular car and I would walk away shaking my head that there is just way too much to do to bring it back.

#30 ·
I'm just saying this particular car is not worth anywhere near $7,000 in the condition it is in. And after restoring one of these cars over the past many years, I would not take this particular car for free. The work is extensive and expensive.

#31 ·
These cars are not investment caliber . I think most of us got to the point of " no return " . They could be some day . But typical sedans don't typically become collectors . If you have the passion and patience go for it . It's all relative to what someone will pay . Not everyone will do a classic center type restoration . There are other ways to make a really nice ride as evidence on this forum . To each their own .

#33 ·
The demand is there for people who can't swing a e30 m3. If the 16v explodes which I think it could then the 201 would follow suit to some extent . Like the w111 cabrio exploded then the coupe followed at a similar ratio . The e30 was available in coupe . I see cabio and coupe in general doing things . It's a rare MB saloon that does . Just 6.3 , 6.9 and hopefully the 16v at some point .

#34 ·
Yeah I also wondered whether interest would pick up in the 16v as an affordable alternative to the M3, and hoped that this might have a halo effect on the value of ordinary w201s like mine. But it doesn't seem to have happened. Top Gear identified the 16v as an interesting modern classic ages ago, but still no interest.

I believe this also has something to do with the relative scarcity of parts and aftermarket support in the US for the w201 in comparison to the E30 BMW.

#36 · (Edited)
Definitely true the appeal on younger people and BMW and that has morphed into Audi now . But locating an unabused Bimmer is harder since the more youthful crowd abuse these cars . MB has always had the old person rep and lack of manuals is part of the equation . Top Gear future classics was in 2005 so 10 years ago . The MB market in the UK is very different than the U.S. Where r107s are worth a lot . Not so here at all .

#39 · (Edited)
Supply and demand. All points above seem to make a lot of sense. I think almost every 20-something male has heard of the M3 that has spanned many generations of body styles, thus increasing common knowledge and demand. I had no knowledge of a 16v or cosworth until I was probably more than a year into my MB obsession, owning an r107.

16v and Cosworths are never going to drive up the demand for all w201, just like 500e don't pull up the prices for all w124. It just seems like way too small of a percent for the whole market of that body-style car.

The biggest allure to the w201 body style for my is the 5-speed 190d, the closest thing (I'm aware of) to a fuel-sipping classic MB.

#40 · (Edited)
And the reason the CLA and all these other new cars are so important to the brand . Can they ever shed the old person sigma ? I think it's working & they've gained a chunk of market share in the last 12 months . They owned the market in the 70-80s . I can see them getting it back some . Doesn't help the 201 . They made way too many of them .

#43 ·
If it wasn't 700 miles from me, I would go check it out and test the waters on price.

But, If I needed a daily driver and had $11K to spend, I probably wouldn't pick this. There are more comfortable, more economical, and safer choices for that money.

A 190D 5 speed, Yeah. I might do it.

In regard to the asking price, I suspect it goes like this: In sellers mind: "I want $10K minimum. If I ask $10,500, buyer will offer $9,000 and I wont get $10K. I better ask $11,500 so the final price after negotiations is $10,000. But that doesn't explain the 488. Sorry.

#45 ·
I guess the good news is seller must have paid the back registration fees? Or maybe had a "non op" all those years.

Imagine the challenge of just keeping the gas "fresh" in a car driven so little. Even with Sta-Bil it needs to be used or replaced every year or so.

On CL for three weeks speaks volumes about the asking price.