Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W201 eBay / CL finds

60K views 191 replies 53 participants last post by  tkarttrev 
#1 ·
#48 ·
1984 Mercees Benz 190E for Sale

Hi Fellow benzworlders. Found this on my weekly craiglist search, I'm typically a w124 guy but I'm looking for a 190 with the 5 speed. What in the world is the body kit on this car and the rear tail lights look like an early 80s sec.

If anyone wants I can go check it out for them, but it looks very unique to me.

That one was posted on the 190rev forum . Early 80s euro kit . Never heard of that company but the EU guys have . Gotta love the 80s. Great price tho .

#50 ·
Those earlier 190s were lighter than the later ones and the Euro ones were lighter than the American-market ones, especially the low-spec models. The five speed pre-88 190E (standard 2.0 motor) with no catalyser is the most fuel efficient petrol W201 you can get (5.8/7.8/10.3 l/100km for the 90kmh/120kmh/city cycles as per W201-190E-Getriebe/en ? Mercedes-Benz Classic Wiki - Online-Lexikon rund um Mercedes-Benz Oldtimer). Get it running well, put a five speed box in it and you may have a hypermiler!

#61 ·
I remember reading about this car in another magazine too.

Others will likely disagree, but the slushbox ruins it for me. First thing I'd do is swap a proper gearbox in it, but that's just me.

It's a gorgeous car otherwise!

#64 ·
If you follow the dropbox link in the ad, there are PDF scans of an April 1989 issue of Road & Track, where they talk about the car and note that rather than giving the 190 a V8, AMG opted to upgrade the M103 motor by reworking "the cylinder head with larger valves, gas flowed inlet and exhaust tracts and a different camshaft," boring the 2.6 to 3.2 liters and installing new pistons and exhaust system raising power output to 234bhp (over the standard 158) (pp. 49-50 of the article).

#66 ·
#69 ·
Hi all,

It's very rare in these parts to see a 1984 190E, but there's one currently on sale. It's definitely showing its 31 years of age, but is fairly original.

Because of its originality, it's interesting to look at to see all the little differences between this and my 1990/1992 W201s, eg:
- much flatter looking seats
- the different wiper design
- higher ride height
- small tyre/wheel combination (I think this one has 14 rather than 15" wheels; I believe Mercedes discontinued 14" wheels when the W123 ended production?)

The ad claims that it has recently developed an intermittent fault where the engine suddenly cuts out. What's the bet it's the good ol' OVP relay issue.

1984 Mercedes-Benz 190 Sedan | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brimbank Area - Taylors Lakes | 1099251220

#72 ·
'93 Sportline LE part-out, Bay Area

I have no connection to the seller, just found this ad. Someone should snap up the interior:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5419139976.html

the listing:

Parting out a '93 190e sportline. Mostly original, car has 185k miles. Has the sportline two tone leather interior (Red/Black sport seats).

Head gasket at 145k miles

Just had the AC completely redone. Recent water pump/tensioner/belt/t-stat/overflow tank.

just replaced the transmission (used, came out of a car with 110k miles, correct with 1st gear start).

newer Bilstien Sport sturts/shocks

OZ super leggera 17" wheels with 201/50/17 tires- 50% tread left

Big brake upgrade from a '95 400e (pads/rotors still good)

Sportline parts: F/R seats/dash trim (carbon fiber)/ steering wheel/steering box/LSD rear diff/ springs/control bushings

Email or text only, I won't respond to calls.

Dave

###

Attachments

#74 ·
That car is perfectly repairable. There doesn't seem to be any major damage. Just a new hood, new fender, new valence, and check for any structural issues (which cursory glance shows that any frame damage would be minor and easy to pull out).

#75 ·
my initiation into the 190 class came when i asked the forum what a fair price for a '93 sportline should be. most respondents thought i was crazy paying anything over 2K! one of the mods, DP i think, recommended $1200. so i had to post this and see how many heads explode in the forum....

1992 Mercedes 190 E Sportline

sportline w/ a manual: what d'ya think, $1250? :devil

#76 ·
There's also a 190E 2.6 Sportline (automatic) at Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale:

Mercedes Benz 190 Series RARE Sportline 98 000 Miles Mercedes Benz Dealer | eBay

They want $4k for it. It has 98k miles. I called about it yesterday: apparently it was traded in by the original owner against a new car. They have no maintenance records to speak of, the A/C blows hot, some stitching in the rear seat is coming apart, they couldn't tell me about oil consumption or any info about the condition of the headgasket etc. and did not seem interested in providing any further info. They also would not budge on the price, though I understand it only went up yesterday.

#77 ·
For a straight 6, I feel the price does go up. $6,000 is a little much, even with the manual. I'd say at most 4 for a manual, unless it's impeccably clean.

Auto, 3. Probably more like $2,500 with damage to the seats and no A/C, along with a complete lack of maintenance records.

#82 ·
$300 '87 2.3 in Sonoma County

"Mechanic's special," but it could be good for someone looking for parts:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/5478252156.html

1987 Mercedes Benz in great shape
Has issues starting.. but engine runs
replaced the alternator and cold start valve.
would be a great classic car if someone had the time to put into it.
190xxx miles, registration needs to be paid or salvage the title.
Asking 300$ OBO.

###

As usual, no affiliation, just sharing my finds with the community.

Attachments