Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Center and driver vent surround removal

940 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  355190E26 
#1 ·
Both of my vent surrounds had cracks in the plastic through the switch sections which is quite common.

I removed mine - easy because they were broken..... and then glued them up. I also reinforced them with paper clips laid on the plastic over the crack and then epoxied in place. I lightly sanded the plastic to ensure a good adhesive with the epoxy.

I also found that there is a fourth screw behind the heated rear window switch in the centre vent surround that wasn't mentioned. This is very hard to see and my mount was already broken where someone had already taken this out.

Read all the write ups on here about how to remove them and all of them had removal done with the gauge cluster in place. After attempting to reinstall the surrounds I cracked the outside one attempting to reinstall it !!!

I then pulled the gauge cluster out a bit and repaired the crack and both surrounds went in very easily and then reseated the cluster.

Hope this helps someone.

Matt.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to add that what helps me get those vent assemblies out is a set of plastic trim/moulding removal tools. I got a cheap set from Harbor Freight and they work great, especially if you're going to the junkyard and need to pull the pieces without damaging them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.