Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel sending unit/gauge problem

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob338 
#1 ·
Guys,

My '86 190D fuel gauge recently acted up. When I refuel (fill-up) the vehicle, the gauge registers a little less than 3/4 tank. I notice this the last two fill-ups.

I suspect that the fuel sending unit needs to be removed and cleaned or replace.

My question, are sending units from gasser interchangeable with diesels? I've done a search on the forum, but no mention of compatibility between gasser and diesel sending units.

There are four P&P in my area (PNW) with plenty of 190 gassers. If units are compatible, I'll definitely go pick one or two up.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymond

#3 ·
Removing the sensor is easy enough: you get to it by removing the first aid kit on the back shelf. When you pull it out of the tank, take your time, it takes a few seconds for the fuel to drain. If you pluck it out, the fuel will drain into your car, rather than back into the tank.

The outer aluminum shell of the fuel sender can be pried off with a little careful work. The sender itself is composed of two thin nichrome wires with a float that rides between them. The wires get coated with goop after many years. You can dip a q-tip in contact cleaner and carefully brush them clean. Work carefully, the wire is delicate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.