Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help! I dont know whats wrong. (Trans)

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  four2zerohero 
#1 ·
hello! my 190e will start and will get into reverse and first but wont shift into anyhigher gears. i checked the transmission fluid levels and relevelled them and that seemed to help a little bit but its still putting out high revs and won't change gears smoothly. im just wondering what the problems is... Also where is the vaccum pump located as i think this is where im going to have to start.

Appreciate any and all answers!

#4 ·
Frank, in my experience the B2 piston failing will prevent 1st and 2nd gear from engaging. According to the transmission manuals I've read, his problem could lie with the B1 piston or the transmission governor, most likely the governor. It could also be the kick-down switch, so keep that in mind and check/clean it. Refer to the following links:
1991 190E 2.6 Auto Trans Governor Gear | Mercedes-Benz Club of America
1991 190E 2.6 Auto Trans Governor Gear - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
1991 190E Transmission Governor - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Similar problem, 300SDL:

Part 1:
Part 2:

Another set of videos, the 5 speed 722 series but 1-4 gears are basically the same, 5th is essentially an over-drive. This video may provide some useful information. Also, this guy (MercedesSource) provides a ton of useful information in general about these old cars. Take a look:

Part 1:

Additional videos linked from there.

#6 ·
As Nfsjunkie91 said, you might have a malfunction "governor or its assembly, but manual also refers to a sticking VB as well.
My suggestion will be "try to unbolt that VB (valve body) from your AT. Do a good clean and put that back. You could reuse your ATF when you do that. Tiny valve parts and small dampers with springs inside VB might have little chips or dirt blocking your hydraulic system.

#8 ·
This could easily be a governor problem. My 722.418 on my 300D has plastic drive gears for the governor. They broke and I lost all gears above first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.